Imaging with electromagnetic waves has a wide range of applications from remote sensing of earth to concealed weapon detection, among the others. When data are collected in the far-field (imaging distance in the order of one wavelength or larger), linear electromagnetic imaging techniques mainly suffer a fundamental limit in the resolution called "diffraction limit". To overcome this limit, we propose the use of resonant near-field scatterers incorporated in the holographic imaging techniques. These scatterers convert part of the evanescent spectrum in the vicinity of the object to propagating spectrum that is measured by the antenna in the far-field. Here, we study the improvement in the resolution with decreasing the object-scatterer distance. We also investigate the effect of using multiple scatterers along the range and cross-range directions.
2. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Overcoming the diffraction limit with a planar left-handed transmission-line lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 11, 117401-117403, Mar. 2004.
3. Grbic, A., L. Jiang, and R. Merlin, "Near-field plates: Subdiffraction focusing with patterned surfaces," Science, Vol. 320, No. 5875, 511-513, Apr. 2008.
4. Markley, L. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Meta-screens and near-field antenna-arrays: A new perspective on subwavelength focusing and imaging," Metamaterials, Vol. 5, No. 2-3, 97-106, Elsevier, Jun.-Sep. 2011.
5. Amineh, R. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "2D and 3D sub-diffraction source imaging with a superoscillatory filter," Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 7, 8142-8157, Mar. 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.21.008142.
6. Malyuskin, O. and V. Fusco, "Far field subwavelength source resolution using phase conjugating lens assisted with evanescent-to-propagating spectrum conversion," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 459-468, Feb. 2010.
7. Amineh, R. K., J. McCombe, A. Khalatpour, and N. K. Nikolova, "Microwave holography using point-spread functions measured with calibration objects," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 64, No. 2, 403-417, Feb. 2015.
8. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, Sep. 2001.
9. FEKO, HyperWorks 14.0, http://www.altairuniversity.com/academic/.
10. Bolomey, J. C. and F. E. Gardiol, Engineering Applications of the Modulated Scattering Technique, Artech House Publishers, 2001.