This paper presents a Quad-Rectangular Shaped Microstrip Antenna (QRSMA) fed by a single microstrip line feed. QRSMA having different frequency bands is designed to be applied to L(1-2GHz), S(2-4GHz) and C(4-8GHz) bands applications. QRSMA is loaded with a single square patch and 4 rectangular patches. The patches are loaded using a flame retardant substrate (Fr-4). The patches are connected with 1 mm width of copper (Cu) stripline. Thus the proposed design of patches and width is responsible for desired multiband operations. The antenna resonates at frequencies f1=1.074, f2=3.119, f3=4.089, f4=5.683 and f5=6.514 GHz. Thus, the antenna is useful in the L, S and C band applications. Compared to other antenna designs, the proposed antenna exhibits multiband performance, size reduction and is economical. It also realizes tunability of frequencies having stable radiation pattern with compact electrical size. The paper analyses the simulated and experimental results. Various cases of QRSMA performances are also compared in this paper.
1. Kumar, P., S. Dwari, and P. S. Pakariya, "Tripple-band microstrip antenna for wireless application," Springer Wireless Pers. Commun., Springer Science+Business Media, New York, 2017.
2. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848518
3. Liu, Y. F., K. L. Lau, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chen, "Experimental studies of printed wide-slot antenna for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 273-275, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.837510
4. Chen, W.-S. and K.-Y. Ku, "Band-rejected design of printed open slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1163-1169, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919192
5. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "Compact triple band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 16, July 30, 2009.
6. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, X. Yang, and P. Fei, "Compact multiresonator-loaded planar antenna for multiband operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2838-2841, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2242819
7. Liu, C. S., C. N. Chiu, and S. M. Deng, "A compact disc-slit monopole antenna for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 251-254, 2008.
8. Sarin, V. P., V. Deepu, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Wideband printed microstrip antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 779-781, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2026193
9. Liu, W. C., M. Ghavami, and W. C. Chung, "Triple-frequency meandered monopole antenna with shorted parasitic strips for wireless application," IET Journal of Microwave, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, 1110-1117, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0204
10. Boukarkar, A., X.-Q. Lin, Y. Jiang, and Y.-Q. Yu, "Miniaturized single-feed multi-band patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 850-854, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2632620
11. Ansari, J. A., S. Verma, and A. Singh, "Design and investigation of disk patch antenna with quard c-slots for multiband operations," Hindawi International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2014, article id 504363, 2014.
12. Gupta, S. K., A. Sharma, B. K. Kanaijia, S. Rudra, R. R. Mishra, and G. P. Pandey, "Orthogonal slit cut stacked circular patch microstrip antenna for multiband operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 4, 873-882, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27416
13. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, Y. Li, X. J. Liao, and L. Wang, "Design of an edge-fed quad-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMax/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 28, 111-120, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11080407
14. Verma, S., J. A. Ansari, and M. K. Verma, "A novel compact multi-band microstrip antenna with multiband narrow slits," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1196-1198, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27537
15. Khajepour, S., M. S. Ghaffarian, and G. Moradi, "Design of novel multiband folded printed quadrifilar helical antenna for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 2, 58-60, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2016.3889