The presence of the primary field in the helicopter transient electromagnetic system makes the dynamic range of the response signal so large that it is difficult to observe the secondary field. Therefore, a bucking coil is usually introduced to eliminate the primary field. However, in a traditional design, the size of the bucking coil increases with the size of the system, which makes the bucking coil hard to install, and opposite magnetic moment is large in huge systems. In this paper, a new bucking coil design for a helicopter transient electromagnetic system is proposed. Compared with the traditional design, the bucking coil diameter, total weight and total magnetic moment in two designs are calculated. The results show that the bucking coil we designed is more than 8 times smaller and 5 times lighter than that in the traditional design, which is easier for installation. The bucking moment impact is reduced to 0.03% of the total magnetic moment when the diameter of the transmitting coil increases to 35m, which improves the efficiency of the system. Then we analyze the requirement of manufactory precision and installation accuracy for the bucking coil in our design to get the best bucking result.
1. Yin, C. C., B. Zhang, Y. H. Liu, X. Y. Ren, Y. F. Qi, Y. F. Pei, C. K. Qiu, X. Huang, W. Huang, J. J. Mia, and J. Cai, "Review on airborne em technology and developments," Chinese J. Geophys.-Ch., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2637-2653, 2015.
2. Schamper, C., E. Auken, and K. Srensen, "Coil response inversion for very early time modelling of helicopter-borne time-domain electromagnetic data and mapping of near-surface geological layers," Geophysical Prospecting, Vol. 62, No. 3, 658-674, 2014. doi:10.1111/1365-2478.12104
3. Legault, J. M., C. Izarra, A. Prikhodko, S. K. Zhao, and E. M. Saadawi, "Helicopter EM (ZTEM-VTEM) survey results over the nuqrah copper-lead-zinc-gold sedex massive sulphide deposit in the western arabian shield, kingdom of saudi arabia," Exploration Geophysics, Vol. 46, No. 1, 36-48, 2015. doi:10.1071/EG14028
4. Holladay, J. S., W. E. Doll, L. P. Beard, J. L. C. Lee, and D. T. Bell, "Uxo time-constant estimation from helicopter-borne tem data," Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 11, No. 1, 43-52, 2006. doi:10.2113/JEEG11.1.43
5. Palacky, G. J. and G. F. West, "Airborne electromagnetic methods," Electromagnetic Methods in Applied Geophysics, 811-880, 1991. doi:10.1190/1.9781560802686.ch10
6. Shudong, C., W. Yujie, and Z. Shuang, "Bucking coil used in airborne transient electromagnetic survey," 2012 International Conference on Industrial Control and Electronics Engineering, 478-481, IEEE, 2015.
7. Witherly, K., R. Irvine, and B. Morrison, "The Geotech VTEM time domain helicopter EM system," Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 1217-1220, 2004.
8. Prikhodko, A., E. Morrison, A. Bagrianski, P. Kuzmin, P. Tishin, and J. Legault, "Evolution of VTEM technical solutions for effective exploration," Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 1-4, 2010.