In this paper, a microstrip lowpass filter with -3 dB cutoff frequency of 3.8 GHz consisting of two cascaded resonators with flabelliform patches and two symmetric suppressing cells is proposed. To design the filter, the impact of each transmission line on the frequency response is determined by extracting the equations of the insertion loss (S21) and return loss (S11) on the basis of the equivalent LC circuit of the main resonance cell and the cascaded structure. The designed filter is constructed and tested, and a good agreement between the results of simulation and measurement is obtained. In the whole stopband region, a return loss close to zero and an acceptable suppression level of -30 dB from 4.47 to 25.17 GHz are achieved. Furthermore, a flat insertion loss in the passband and a low return loss (-23.02 dB) in the stopband can prove desired in-band and out-band frequency response.
1. Wang, J., L. J. Xu, S. Zhao, Y. X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Compact quasi-elliptic microstrip lowpass filter with wide stopband," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 20, 1384-1385, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1569
2. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Stopband-expanded low-pass filters using microstrip coupled-line hairpin units," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 506-508, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2001004
3. Wei, X. B., P. Wang, M. Q. Liu, and Y. Shi, "Compact wide-stopband lowpass filter using stepped impedance hairpin resonator with radial stubs," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 15, 862-863, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1414
4. Li, L., Z. F. Li, and J. F. Mao, "Compact lowpass filters with sharpand expanded stopband using stepped impedance hairpin units," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 31-312, Jul. 2010.
5. Velidi, V. K. and S. Sanyal, "Sharp roll-off lowpass filter with wide stopband using stub-loaded coupled-line hairpin unit," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 6, 301-303, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2132120
6. Mandal, M. K., P. Mondal, S. Sanyal, and A. Chakrabarty, "Low insertion-loss, sharp-rejection and compact microstrip low-pass filters," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, 600-602, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.884777
7. Gomez-Garcia, R., M. A. Sanchez-Soriano, M. Sanchez Renedo, G. Torregrosa-Penalva, and E. Bronchalo, "Extended-stopband microstrip lowpass filter using rat-race directional coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 4, 272-274, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.4245
8. Li, J. L., S. W. Qu, and Q. Xue, "Compact microstrip lowpass filter with sharp roll-off and wide stop-band," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 110-111, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20093246
9. Wang, J., H. Cui, and G. Zhang, "Design of compact microstrip lowpass filter with ultra-wide stopband," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 14, 854-856, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.1362
10. Abdipour, A., Ar. Abdipour, and S. Lotfi, "A lowpass filter with sharp roll-off and high relative stopband bandwidth using asymmetric high-low impedance patches," Radioengineering, Vol. 24, No. 3, 712-716, 2015. doi:10.13164/re.2015.0712
11. Wei, F., L. Chen, X.-W. Shi, Q.-L. Huang, and X.-H. Wang, "Compact lowpass filter with wide stop-band using coupled-line hairpin unit," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 1, 88-90, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2411
12. Ma, K. and K. S. Yeo, "New ultra-wide stopband low-pass filter using transformed radial stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory. Tech., Vol. 59, No. 3, 604-611, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2095031
13. Nouritabar, A. R., A. Abdipour, and Ar. Abdipour, "A design of low-pass filter with wide stopband and sharp roll-off rate using series LC tanks resonator," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 31, No. 11, 1343-1350, 2016.
14. Abdipour, Ar. and A. Abdipour, "Compact microstrip lowpass filter with an ultra-wide stopband and sharp transition band using T-shaped and polygon resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 51-61, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16121904
15. Abdipour, A., Ar. Abdipour, and F. Lorestani, "A compact microstrip lowpass filter with sharp roll-off rate and ultra-wide stopband employing coupled polygon patches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 76, 171-183, Aug. 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17043003
16. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619