We measured millimeter-wave dielectric parameters of magnesium fluoride glass wafers at the room temperature in the frequency band of 75--110 GHz by applying the open resonator technique based on the use of Bragg structures and related multi-layer assemblies. Through the comparison of measured and simulated transmission spectra of various structures, the dielectric constant of magnesium fluoride glass is found as ε= 5.50±0.01. The estimate for the loss tangent is found to be tanδ= 0.00005, with a possibility that the actual losses could be smaller than this value.
2. Tavernier, H., P. Salzenstein, K. Volyanskiy, Y. K. Chembo, and L. Larger, "Magnesium fluoride whispering gallery mode disk-resonators for microwave photonics applications," IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, 1629-1631, 2010.
3. Yurchenko, L. and V. Yurchenko, "Self-generation of ultra-short pulses in a cavity with a dielectric mirror excited by an array of active THz devices," 8th Intl. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, 49-52, Darmstadt, Germany, Sept. 28-29, 2000.
4. Yurchenko, L. V. and V. B. Yurchenko, "Analysis of the dynamical chaos in a cavity with an array of active devices," 12th Intl. Conf. on Microwaves and Radar. MIKON-98. Conf. Proc. (IEEE Cat. No.98EX195), Vol. 3, 723-727, Krakow, May 20-22, 1998.
5. Geyer, R. G., J. Baker-Jarvis, and J. Krupka, "Variable-temperature microwave dielectric properties of singlecrystal fluorides," Developments in Dielectric Materials and Electronic Devices, Vol. 167, 51-55, Eds. K. M. Nair, R. Guo, A. S. Bhalla, S. I. Hirano, D. Suvorov; Proc. 106th Annual Meeting of the Am. Ceramic Soc., 2004.
6. Jacob, M. V., J. Mazierska, and J. Krupka, "Low temperature complex permittivity of MgF2 at microwave frequencies from TE01δ modes," APMC-2005 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. Proc., Vol. 5, paper 5, Suzhou, China, Dec. 4-7, 2005.
7. Clarke, R. N., A. P. Gregory, D. Cannell, M. Patrick, S. Wylie, I. Youngs, and G. Hill, A Guide to the Characterisation of Dielectric Materials at RF and Microwave Frequencies, NPL, Teddington, 2003.
8. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, B. F. Riddle, R. T. Johnk, P. Kabos, C. L. Holloway, R. G. Geyer, and C. A. Grosvenor, Measuring the Permittivity and Permiability of Lossy Materials: Solids, Liquids, Metals, Building Materials, and Negative-Index Materials, NIST, Boulder, CO, 2005.
9. Krupnov, A. F., V. N. Markov, G. Y. Golubyatnikov, I. I. Leonov, Y. N. Konoplev, and V. V. Parshin, "Ultra-low absorption measurement in dielectrics in millimeter- and submillimeter-wave range," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 284-289, 1999.
10. Krupka, J., "Frequency domain complex permittivity measurements at microwave frequencies," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 17, R55-R70, 2006.
11. Egorov, V. N., "Resonance methods for microwave studies of dielectrics (review)," Instrum. Exp. Tech., Vol. 50, 143-175, 2007.
12. Yurchenko, V. B., "High-Q reflection notch method for mm-wave measurements of large dielectric losses using a stack resonator: Analysis and simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 24, 265-279, 2012.
13. Yurchenko, V. B., M. Ciydem, M. Gradziel, J. A. Murphy, and A. Altintas, "Double-sided split-step mm-wave Fresnel lenses: Fabrication and focal field measurements," J. Europ. Opt. Soc. Rap. Public, Vol. 9, 14007-5, 2014.
14. Murphy, J. A., et al., "Multi-mode horn design and beam characteristics for the Planck satellite," J. Inst., Vol. 5, No. 4, T04001-24, 2010.
15. Yurchenko, V., M. Ciydem, M. Gradziel, A. Murphy, and A. Altintas, "Light-controlled photonics-based mm-wave beam switch," Optics Express, Vol. 24, 16471-16478, 2016.
16. Born, M. and E.Wolf, Principles of Optics, 7th Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003.
17. Guo, H., J. Chen, and S. Zhuang, "Vector plane wave spectrum of an arbitrary polarized electromagnetic wave," Optics Express, Vol. 14, 2095-2100, 2006.
18. Zhou, G., X. Chu, and J. Zheng, "Analytical structure of an apertured vector Gaussian beam in the far field," Optics Commun., Vol. 281, 1929-1934, 2008.