In this paper, a U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with meandered slots is presented. It is designed for biomedical applications to operate at 2.45 GHz. Based on the simulation experience, two designs of the patch are introduced with and without use of meandered slots. The comparative study between these two is also demonstrated. It is observed that the antenna with meandered slots shows good performance with sufficient bandwidth, low losses and is capable of use in biomedical applications. Furthermore, the proposed antenna has small size of 35*29*1.6 mm3, and the size of the ground is only 14% of the overall antenna size. The measured and simulated results show good agreement with each other. The antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate, and simulation is carried out on FDTD based Empire XCcel simulator.
2. Kim, J.-M., J.-G. Yook, W.-Y. Song, Y.-J. Yoon, J.-Y. Park, and H.-K. Park, "Compact meander-type slot antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2001, Vol. 2, 724-727, Jul. 8-13, 2001.
3. Kiourti, A. and K. S. Nikita, "Miniature scalp-implantable antennas for telemetry in the MICS and ISM bands: Design, safety considerations and link budget analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 8, 3568-3575, Aug. 2012.
4. Kiourti and K. S. Nikita, "Meandered versus spiral novel miniature pifas implanted in the human head: Tuning and performance," Proceedings of the 2nd ICST International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare (MobiHealth 2012), Kos Island, Greece, Oct. 2011.
5. Soontornpipit, P., C. M. Furse, and Y. C. Chung, "Design of implantable microstrip antenna for communication with medical implants," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1944-1951, Aug. 2004.
6. Kiourti, A., M. Christopoulou, and K. S. Nikita, "Performance of a novel miniature antenna implanted in the human head for wireless biotelemetry," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Spokane, Washington, Jul. 2011.
7. Jain, L., R. Singh, S. Rawat, and K. Ray, "Stacked arrangement of meandered patches for biomedical applications," Int. J. Syst. Assur. Eng. Manag., 1-8, 2016.
8. Soontornpipit, P., C. M. Furse, and Y. C. Chung, "Miniaturized biocompatible microstrip antenna using genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1939-1945, Jun. 2005.
9. Huang, F. J., C. M. Lee, C. L. Chang, L. K. Chen, T. C. Yo, and C. H. Luo, "Rectenna application of miniaturized implantable antenna design for triple-band biotelemetry communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2646-2653, Jul. 2011.
10. Liu, W. C., F. M. Yeh, and M. Ghavami, "Miniaturized implantable broadband antenna for biotelemetry communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2407-2409, Sep. 2008.
11. Liu, W. C., S. H. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of an implantable PIFA antenna for biotelemetry devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 3, 755-757, Mar. 2009.
12. Sukhija, S. and R. K. Sarin, "Low-profile patch antennas for biomedical and wireless applications," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 16, No. 2, 354-368, Jun. 2017.
13. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, Jul. 2010.
14. Kaya, A., "Meandered slot and slit loaded compact microstrip antenna with integrated impedance tuning network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 219-235, 2008.
15. Xu, L.-J., Y.-X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Miniaturised slot antenna for biomedical applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 17, 1060-1061, Aug. 15, 2013.
16. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, Antennas and Propagation for Body-centric Communications, Artech House, London and Boston, 2006.
17. Karacolak, T., A. Z. Hood, and E. Topsakal, "Design of a dual-band implantable antenna and development of skin mimicking gels for continuous glucose monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1001-1008, Apr. 2008.
18. Beach, R. D., F. V. Kuster, and F. Moussy, "Subminiature implantable potentiostat and modified commercial telemetry device for remote glucose monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1239-1245, Dec. 1999.
19. Tak, J., K. Kwon, and J. Choi, "Design of a dual band repeater antenna for medical self-monitoring applications," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2091-2092, July 7-13, 2013.
20. Malika, T., K. Abdennaceur, A. Rahma, and A. Frederic, "Miniaturized on-body patch antenna for 430 MHz wireless digestive monitoring system," 2014 IEEE Workshop on Biometric Measurements and Systems for Security and Medical Applications (BIOMS) Proceedings, 57-60, Oct. 17, 2014.
21. Medical Implant Communication Service (MICS) federal register, Rules reg., , Vol. 64, No. 240, Dec. 1999.
22. Smith, E. K., "Radiowave propagation in ITU-R," IEEE Magazine in Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 1, 118-119, Feb. 1999.
23. IEEE Standard for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz, IEEE Standard C95.1-1999, 1999.
24. Nezhad, S. M. A., G. Dadashzadeh, and A. Foudazi, "A tunable dual band notch on a UWB printed slot monopole antenna by using open circuit stubs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 8, 1931-1935, 2011.
25. User and Reference Manual for the 3D EM Time Domain Simulator Empire XCcel, ver. 5.5, IMST GmbH, 2012, [online], available: http://www.empire.de/.
26. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley, 2005.
27. Shukla, B. K., N. Kashyap, and R. K. Baghel, "Circular slotted elliptical patch antenna with elliptical notch in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 181-189, 2017.
28. Sayidmarie, K. H. and L. S. Yahya, "Modeling of dual-band crescent-shape monopole antenna for WLAN applications," International Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications, Vol. 4, No. 2, 31-39, 2014.
29. Tran, V. N. and S. S. Stuchly, "Dielectric properties of beef, beef liver, chicken and salmon at frequencies from 100 to 2500 MHz," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 22, 29-33, 1987.
30. Ashok Kumar, S. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Analysis and design of implantable Z-monopole antennas at 2.45 GHz ISM band for biomedical applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 468-473, 2015.
31. Duan, Z., Y. X. Guo, R. F. Xue, M. Je, and D. L. Kwong, "Differentially fed dual-band implantable antenna for biomedical applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5587-5595, Dec. 2012.
32. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2271-2293, Nov. 1996.
33. Lee, C. M., T. C. Yo, F. J. Huand, and C. H. Luo, "Bandwidth enhancement of planar inverted-F antenna for implantable biotelemetry," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 749-752, Mar. 2009.
34. Guo, X., Y. Hang, Z. Xie, C. Wu, L. Gao, and C. Liu, "Flexible and wearable 2.45 GHz CPW-fed antenna using inkjet-printing of silver nanoparticles on pet substrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 1, 204-208, 2017.
35. Salim, M. and A. Pourziad, "A novel reconfigurable spiral-shaped monopole antenna for biomedical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 57, 79-84, 2015.
36. Sukhija, S. and R. K. Sarin, "Design and performance of two-sleeve low profile antenna for bio-medical applications," Journal of Electrical Systems and Information Technology, Vol. 4, No. 1, 49-61, 2017.
37. Gil, I. and R. Fernández-García, "Wearable PIFA antenna implemented on jean substrate for wireless body area network," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 11-12, 1194-1204, 2017.
38. Nel, M., J. Joubert, and J. W. Odendaal, "The measurement of complex antenna transfer functions for ultra-wideband antennas in a compact range [measurements corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 163-170, 2014.