The eigen-mode technique of rigorous diffraction theory is employed for computation of spatial structure of electromagnetic field, arising under diffraction of a plane wave by a narrow slot of the width of the order of the wavelength or smaller in a perfectly conducting screen of finite thickness. The effects of little step change and of strong enhancement for relative averaged energy density are investigated in dependence of the slot width and depth. It is shown that the field in a space behind the slot represents the sum of a field, slowly and monotonically decreasing in the directions away from a slot, and a harmonic field with sinusoidal spatial inhomogeneities of the order of the wavelength. It is established that the comparative contributions of these two field constituents are unequal for various spatial components of the electric and magnetic fields, and also that the contribution of the first constituent decreases with increase of the slot width.
2. Chen, X., H.-R. Park, N. Lindquist, J. Shaver, M. Pelton, and S.-H. Oh, "Squeezing millimeter waves through a single, nanometer-wide, centimeter-long slit," Scientic Reports, Vol. 4, 6722, 2014.
3. Park, H.-R., X. Chen, N.-C. Nguyen, J. Peraire, and S.-H. Oh, "Nanogap-enhanced terahertz sensing of 1nm thick (λ/106) dielectric lms," ACS Photonics, Vol. 2, No. 3, 417-424, 2015.
4. Toma, A., S. Tuccio, M. Prato, F. De Donato, A. Perucchi, P. Di Pietro, S. Marras, C. Liberale, R. P. Zaccaria, F. De Angelis, L. Manna, S. Lupi, E. Di Fabrizio, and L. Razzari, "Squeezing terahertz light into nanovolumes: Nanoantenna enhanced terahertz spectroscopy (NETS) of semiconductor quantum dots," Nano Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 386-391, 2015.
5. Garcia-Vidal, F. J., L. Martin-Moreno, T. W. Ebbesen, and L. Kuipers, "Light passing through subwavelength apertures," Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 82, No. 1, 729-787, 2010.
6. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.
7. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of arbitrary thickness," Technical Physics, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1076-1083, 2005.
8. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley, New York, 1986.
9. Meixner, J., "The behavior of electromagnetic elds at edges," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 20, No. 4, 442-446, 1972.
10. Rudnitsky, A. S. and V. M. Serdyuk, "Integrated evaluation of diffraction image quality in optical lithography using the rigorous diffraction solution for a slot," Technical Physics, Vol. 57, No. 10, 1387-1393, 2012.