A compact printed multi-band frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE applications is presented in this paper (50 x 60 x 1.6 mm3). The antenna consists of W-shaped and Inverted-U shaped patch lines connected in a Tree-shape on the front side of the antenna. The back-side of the antenna contains a 90°-tilted T-shaped strip connected with an Inverted-L shaped strip which is shorted with a patch on the front side for increasing the electrical length to cover lower frequency bands. Frequency reconfigurability is achieved by inserting three switches i.e., PIN diodes. The most critical part of this work is the designing of RLC-based DC line circuits for providing the DC biasing to the PIN diodes used as switches and inserting them at optimum locations. This antenna is reconfigurable among eight different 4G LTE frequency bands including 0.9 GHz, 1.4 GHz, 1.5 GHz, 1.6 GHz, 1.7 GHz, 1.8 GHz, 2.6 GHz, 3.5 GHz and WLAN band 2.5 GHz. The antenna exhibits different radiation patterns having a different direction of peak gain at different frequencies and for different switching combinations. The antenna is simulated with CST, and a prototype is fabricated to compare the measured and simulated results with good accuracy.
2. Aberle, J. T., S. H. Oh, D. T. Auckland, and S. D. Rogers, "Recongurable antennas for wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 6, 148-154, Dec. 2003.
3. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Recongurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2250-2261, 2012.
4. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Recongurable antennas: Design and applications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, Mar. 2015.
5. Haider, N., D. Caratelli, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Recent developments in recongurable and multiband antenna technology," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 1-14, 2013.
6. Yang, S., C. Zhang, H. K. Pan, A. E. fathy, and V. K. Nair, "Frequency-recongurable antennas for multiradio wireless platforms," IEEE Antennas Microwave Mag., Vol. 10, No. 1, 66-83, Feb. 2009.
7. Anagnostou, D. E. and A. A. Gheethan, "Coplanar recongurable folded slot antenna without bias network for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1057-1060, 2009.
8. Yassin, A. A., R. A. Saeed, R. A. Alsaqour, and R. A. Mokhtar, "Design of recongurable multiband microstrip patch antenna with a ground slot for WLAN & WiMax applications," Inter. Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 9, 6257-6266, Nov. 2014.
9. Tekin, I. and M. Knox, "Recongurable microstrip patch antenna for WLAN software dened radio applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 3, 644-649, Mar. 2012.
10. Aftab, N., H. T. Chattha, Y. Jamal, A. Sharif, and Y. Huang, "Recongurable patch antenna for wireless applications," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, Apr. 13-17, 2015.
11. Anagnostou, D. E., M. T. Chryssomallis, B. D. Braaten, J. L. Ebel, and N. Sepulveda, "Recongurable UWB antenna with RF-MEMS for on-demand WLAN rejection," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 2, 602-608, Feb. 2014.
12. Hinsz, L. and B. D. Braaten, "A frequency recongurable transmitter antenna with autonomous switching capabilities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3809-3813, Jul. 2014.
13. Fallahpour, M., M. T. Ghasr, and R. Zoughi, "Miniaturized recongurable multiband antenna for multi-radio wireless communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6049-6059, Dec. 2014.
14. Jiang, Z. and F. Yang, "Recongurable sensing antennas integrated with thermal switches for wireless temperature monitoring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 914-917, 2013.
15. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Circular polarization recongurable wideband E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 2, 960-964, Feb. 2013.
16. Kulkarni, A. N. and S. K. Sharma, "Frequency recongurable microstrip loop antenna covering LTE bands with MINO implementation and wideband microstrip slot antenna all for portable wireless dtv media player," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 2, 964-967, Feb. 2013.
17. Rajagopalan, H., J. M. Kovitz, and Y. R. Samii, "MEMS recongurable optimized E-shaped patch antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1056-1064, Mar. 2014.
18. Zohur, A., H. Mopidevi, D. Rodrigo, M. Unlu, L. Jofre, and B. A. Cetiner, "RF MEMS recongurable two-band antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 72-75, 2013.
19. Boyle, K. R. and P. G. Steeneken, "A ve-band recongurable PIFA for mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3300-3309, Nov. 2007.
20. Lim, J. H., G. T. Back, Y. I. Ko, C. W. Song, and T. Y. Yun, "A recongurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a ne-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2411, Jul. 2007.
21. Elfergani, I. T. E., T. Sadeghpour, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, A. S. Hussaini, J. M. Noras, S. M. R. Jones, and J. Rodriguez, "Recongurable antenna design for mobile handsets including harmonic radiation measurements," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 9, 990-999, 2012.
22. Wang, B. Z., S. Xiao, and J. Wang, "Recongurable patch antenna design for wideband wireless communication systems," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 414-419, Apr. 2007.
23. Ali, M. A. M., "Design and analysis of adaptive and recongurable antennas for wireless communication,", Doctoral Dissertation, University of Central Florida, Orlando, USA, 2004.
24. Xiao, S., B. Z. Wang, X. S. Yang, and G. Wang, "A novel frequency recongurable patch antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 295-297, Feb. 2003.
25. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, and C. Lugo, "Pattern and frequency recongurable annular slot antenna using pin diodes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448, 2006.
26. Sathi, V., N. Ehtheshami, and J. Nourinia, "Optically tuned frequency recongurable microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1018-1020, 2012.
27. Pendharker, S., R. K. Shevgaonkar, and A. N. Chandorkar, "Optically controlled frequency- recongurable microstrip antenna with low photoconductivity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 99-102, 2014.
28. Liu, L. and R. J. Langley, "Liquid crystal tunable microstrip patch antenna," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 20, 1179-1180, 2008.
29. Rodrigo, D., L. Jofre, and B. Cetiner, "Circular beam-steering recongurable antenna with liquid metal parasitics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1796-1802, 2012.
30. Constantine, J., Y, Tawk, J. Woodland, N. Floam, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Recongurable antenna system with a movable ground plane for cognitive radio," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 11, 858-863, 2014.
31. Boukarkar, A., X. Q. Lin, and Y. Jiang, "A new recongurable multi-band monopole antenna for different wireless applications," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communication Software and Networks (ICCSN), 6-7, Chengdu, China, 2015.
32. Yadav, A. M., C. J. Panagamuwa, and R. D. Seager, "A miniature recongurable printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX and LTE communication bands," 2012 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-4, 2012.
33. Iddi, H. U., M. R. Kamarudin, T. A. Rahman, and R. Dewan, "Recongurable monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," PIERS Proceedings, 1048-1051, Taipei, Mar. 25-28, 2013.
34. Ali, M. M. M., A. M. Azmy, and O. M. Haraz, "Design and implementation of recongurable quad-band microstrip antenna for MIMO wireless communication applications," 2014 31st National Radio Science Conference (NRSC), Cairo, Egypt, April 28-30, 2014.
35. Minh, P. T., T. T. Thao, N. T. Duc, and V. V. Yem, "A novel multiband frequency recongurable PIFA antenna," 2016 International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications (ATC), 7-12, 2016.
36. Al-Alaa, M. A., H. A. Elsadek, E. A. Abdallah, and E. A. Hashish, "PIFA frequency recongurable antenna," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1256-1257, 2014.
37. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, R. D. Murch, and C. L. Mak, "Recongurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, 2007.
38. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
39. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.