This study presents a polarization reconfigurable antenna with frequency diversity function. The antenna incorporates a novel positive and negative perturbation technique to achieve different polarization sense. A square shape slot is loaded on the ground plane to excite circular polarization by creating a negative perturbation. An L-shape segment is integrated to the patch using a switching diode. This segment creates a positive perturbation to eliminate the negative perturbation created by the defected ground slot, and the antenna excites linear polarization. Frequency diversity is achieved by exciting different polarization senses at different frequencies. A 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of 1.41% is obtained for circular polarization radiation while the 10-dB impedance bandwidth during linear polarization is 1.8%. The antenna shows good radiation performances with high gain at both polarization states, and the performances are confirmed experimentally.
2. Jin, N., F. Yang, and R. Rahmat-Sammi, "A novel patch antenna with switchable slot (PASS): Dual-frequency operation with reversed circular polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1031-1034, 2006.
3. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip-patch antenna with frequency and polarization-diversity functions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 605-607, 2005.
4. Lee, D.-H., H.-M. Yang, and S. Pyo, "Reconfigurable circularly polarized microstrip antenna based on dual-embedded dual slotted ring perturbation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2422-2425, 2015.
5. Lee, D.-H. and S. Pyo, "Dual-reconfigurable microstrip antenna for polarisation agility and diversity," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 16, 1226-1227, 2015.
6. Rahman, M. A., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "A frequency diversity reconfigurable antenna with circular polarization switching capability," Proc. 2017 IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. and USNC-URSI National Radio Science meeting (AP-S/URSI 2017), 1367-1368, San Diego, USA, 2017.
7. Sung, Y. J., T. U. Jang, and Y.-S. Kim, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna for switchable polarization," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 11, 534-536, 2004.
8. Kuo, J.-S. and G.-B. Hsieh, "Gain enhancement of a circularly polarized equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with a slotted ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1652-1656, 2003.
9. Pyo, S. and Y. Sung, "A circularly polarized microstrip antenna with an arrow-shaped slotted ground," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 1, 271-273, 2012.
10. Pyo, S. and Y. Sung, "Microstrip antenna perturbed by a defected ground structure with a reconfigurable polarization capability," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 1, 58-61, 2012.
11. Yoon, W.-S., J.-W. Baik, H.-S. Lee, S. Pyo, S.-M. Han, and Y.-S. Kim, "A reconfigurable circularly polarized microstrip antenna with a slotted ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1161-1164, 2015.
12. Haneishi, M. and Y. Yoshida, "A design method of circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna by one-point feed," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 64-B, No. 4, 46-54, 1981.
13. Ramesh, G., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, MA, 2001.