This paper presents a metamaterial loaded interdigital capacitor antenna having fractal geometry. The antenna consists of multiple split ring resonators (MSRR) with shorted ground. The metamaterial loading is achieved by MSRR that enhances the gain. Furthermore, multiband characteristics is obtained by two L-shaped rings providing the fractal geometry. The antenna has the physical dimension of 27 × 39.20 mm for the outer ring and in terms of wavelength has the dimension of 0.486 × 0.707λ. This antenna structure is designed and simulated on an FR-4 epoxy substrate of thickness h = 1.56 mm and dielectric constant εr = 4.4. The antenna resonates at multiple frequencies i.e. 1.5 GHz, 2.2 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 4.20 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5.3 GHz, 7.2 GHz, 7.5 GHz and 8.8 GHz respectively at different matching values with gains of 9.5 dB, 14.5 dB, 11.9 dB, 3.6 dB, 4 dB, 1.5 dB, 3.8 dB and 6.5 dB. The comparison of the simulated and measured return losses shows a good agreement. The antenna finds its applications in GPS, space and satellite communication, radar, body area network (BAN) communication system.
2. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and E.-T. Chang, "Interdigital capacitor for multiband operation in mobile phone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 1-12, 2010.
3. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, and S. Devi, "Geo-textile based metamaterial loaded wearable microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, January 2013.
4. Bilotti, F., et al., "Design of spiral and multiple split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2258-2267, August 2007.
5. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Physics USPEKHI, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
6. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Electrically small patch antenna loaded with metamaterial," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 56, No. 6, 373-378, December 2010.
7. Mcvay, J., V. Pierro, V. Haldi, A. Hoorfar, N. Engheta, and I. M. Pinto, "Metamaterial inclusions based on grid-graph Hamiltonian paths," Proc. 3rd Workshop on Metamaterials and Special Materials for Electromagnetic Applications and TLC, 27, Rome, Italy, March 30-31, 2006.
8. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, T. lopetegi, R Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide stop band filters based on multiple tuned split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 12, 511-513, December 2003.
9. Bilotti, F., et al., "Equivalent circuit models for the design of metamaterials based in artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2865-2873, December 2007.
10. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomenon," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2081, November 1999.
11. Liu, J.-X. and W.-Y. Yin, "A compact interdigital capacitor-inserted multiband antenna for wireless communication applications ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 922-925, 2010.
12. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, February 2012.
13. Upadhyay, D. K. and S. Pal, "Design of full scanning miniaturized antenna using left handed materials," IEEE International Conference on Devices and Communications, March 24, 2011.
14. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, and S. Devi, "Geo-textile based metamaterial loaded wearable microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, 25-33, January 2013.
15. Huang, H., "Flexible wireless antenna sensor: A review," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1, 3865-3872, October 2013.
16. Dhar, S., et al., "A wideband Minkowski fractal dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2895-2903, June 2013.
17. Erentok, A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Metamaterial-inspired efficient electrically small antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 691-707, March 2008.