A novel hexagonal ring-based reactive impedance surface (RIS) has been proposed and comprehensively employed as a ground plane of a circular polarized patch antenna (CPPA) for enhancing impedance bandwidth (IBW) and axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW), simultaneously. Furthermore, a simple analytical model analysis has been developed to estimate the resonance frequency and to predict the surface characteristics of the RIS structure. Two slits over the patch render the antenna to radiate circular polarized (CP) wave. The RIS has improved the CP antenna performance in terms of compactness, improved gain and increased efficiency. The proposed loaded structure has been numerically and experimentally studied with a layout of 40×40×3.2 mm3 at 3.7 GHz. The measured results indicate that the prototype antenna has produced a relatively wider IBW and ARBW of 9.32% and 2.1%, respectively with peak gain about 2.98 dBiC. Both gain and efficiency of the loaded structure have been improved owing to the low conductive loss of the ring-shaped RIS. The proposed CP antenna might be suitable for radar application used in S-band.
2. Park, B.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna utilizing zeroth-order resonance of epsilon negative transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2717-2720, Jul. 2011.
3. Nasimuddin, Z., N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization with compact size," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 124-137, Apr. 2013.
4. Yang, K.-P. and K.-L. Wong, "Dual-band circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 3, 377-382, Mar. 2001.
5. Ko, S.-T., B.-C. Park, and J.-H. Lee, "Dual-band circularly polarized patch antenna with first positive and negative modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1165-1168, Sep. 2013.
6. Yi, Y., L. J. Ying, W. Kun, X. Rui, and Y. G. Wei, "Circularly polarised cut ring microstrip antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 199-200, Feb. 2015.
7. Tong, K.-F. and T.-P. Wong, "Circularly polarized U-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2382-2385, Aug. 2007.
8. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 219-229, Oct. 2010.
9. Park, B.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Dual-band omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna using zerothand first-order modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 407-410, Apr. 2012.
10. Zhang, H., Y.-Q. Li, X. Chen, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3352-3355, Oct. 2009.
11. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, Sep. 2004.
12. Samanta, G., D. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Miniaturization of a patch antenna using circular reactive impedance substrate," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engg., Vol. 27, No. 8, May 1–10, 2017.
13. Ghosh, A., T. Mandal, and S. Das, "Design and analysis of annular-ring based RIS its use in dual-band patch antenna miniaturization for wireless communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 3, 335-349, Jan. 2017.
14. Bernard, L., G. Chertier, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antennas on reactive impedance substrates," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1015-1018, Sep. 2011.
15. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, Feb. 2012.
16. Xu, H.-X., G.-M.Wang, J.-G. Liang, M. Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining metasurfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3442-3450, Jul. 2013.
17. Agarwal, K., Nasimuddin, and A. Alphones, "RIS based compact circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 547-554, Feb. 2013.
18. Agarwal, K., Nasimuddin, and A. Alphones, "Triple-band compact circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna over reactive impedance meta-surface for GPS applications," IET Microw., Antennas, Propag., Vol. 8, No. 13, 1057-1065, Apr. 2014.
19. Cai, T., G.-M.Wang, X.-F. Zhang, and J.-P. Shi, "Low-profile compact circularly-polarized antenna based on fractal metasurface and fractal resonator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1072-1076, Jan. 2015.