This paper aims to study the plasma discharge process of a 5 kW hall thruster developed by Lanzhou Institute of Physics and to provide the knowledge for implementing an improved thruster design. A 2D Particle-In-Cell (PIC) model is built, in which the electron-electron and electron-ion Coulomb collisions are included, in addition to the elastic, excitation, and ionization collisions between electrons and neutral atoms, and the elastic and charge-collisions between ions and neutral atoms. Different Bohm diffusion coefficients are applied in different regions to simulate the Bohm diffusion. The deviation between the simulated and experimental results of the thruster performance is within 15%, validating the accuracy of the model indirectly. The discharge process including the transient and steady-state oscillations is well reproduced. The character of the plasma during different phase of the discharge process including the plasma density and ionization rate is simulated and analyzed. Finally, the probable factor causing the anode erosion is determined.
2. Mikellides, I. G. and I. Katz, "Numerical simulations of Hall-effect plasma accelerators on a magnetic-field-aligned mesh," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 86, 046703, 2012.
3. Parra, F. I., E. Ahedo, J. M. Fife, and M. Martinez-Sanchez, "A two-dimensional hybrid model of the Hall thruster discharge," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 100, 023304, 2006.
4. Szabo, J., N. Warner, M. Martinez-Sanchez, and O. Batishchev, "Full particle-in-cell simulation methodology for axisymmetric hall effect thrusters," Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 30, No. 1, 197-208, 2015.
5. Yokota, S., K. Komurasaki, and Y. Arakawa, "Plasma density fluctuation inside a hollow anode in an anode-layer Hall thruster," AIAA Meeting Papers on DISC-CD ROM Edition; Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit AIAA, AIAA Paper 2006-5170, 2006.
6. Takao, Y., H. Koizumi, K. Komurasaki, K. Eriguchi, and K. Ono, "Three-dimen-sional particle-in-cell simulation of a miniature plasma source for a microwave discharge ion thruster," Plasma Sources Sci. Technol., Vol. 23, 064004, 2014.
7. Hofer, R. R., I. Katz, I. G. Mikellides, D. M. Goebel, and K. K. Jameson, "Efficacy of electron mobility models in hybrid-PIC Hall thruster simulations," 44th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, AIAA 2008-4924, Hartford, CT, July 21-23, 2008.
8. Meezan, N. B., W. A. Hargus, and M. A. Cappelli, "Anomalous electron mobility in a coaxial hall discharge plasma," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 63, 026410, 2001.
9. Ahedo, E., J. M. Gallardo, and M. Martinez-Sanchez, "Model of the plasma discharge in a Hall thruster with heat conduction," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 9, No. 9, 4061-4070, 2002.
10. Cho, S., K. Komurasaki, and Y. Arakawa, "Kinetic particle simulation of discharge and wall erosion of a Hall thruster," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 20, No. 6, 063501, 2013.
11. Cho, S., H. Watanabe, and K. Kubota, "Study of electron transport in a Hall thruster by axial-radial fully kinetic particle simulation," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 22, 103523, 2015.
12. Birdsall, C. K. and A. B. Langdon, Plasma Physics via Computer Simulation, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia, 1991.
13. Hofer, R. R. and I. G. Mikellides, "Wall sheath and electron mobility modeling in hybrid-PIC hall thruster simulations," 43rd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, AIAA-2007-52-67, Cincinnati, OH, July 8-11, 2007.
14. Meezan, N., W. Hargus, and M. Cappelli, "Anomalous electron mobility in a coaxial hall discharge plasma," Physical Review E, Vol. 63, No. 2, Paper 026410, 2001.
15. Choueiri, E. Y., "Plasma oscillations in Hall thrusters," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1354644, 2001.
16. Boeul, J. P. and L. Garrigues, "Low frequency oscillation in a stationary plasma thruster," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 84, No. 7, 3541-3554, 1998.
17. Barral, S. and E. Ahedo, "Low-frequency model of breathing oscillations in Hall discharges," Physical Review E, Vol. 79, 046401, 2009.
18. Haas, J. M. and A. D. Gallimore, "Internal plasma potential profiles in a laboratory-model Hall thruster," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 8, 652, 2001.