This paper presents a distributed estimation strategy called alternation diffusion LMS estimation (AD-LMS) to estimate an unknown parameter of interests from noisy measurement over wireless sensor network. It is useful in the wireless sensor networks where robustness and low consumption are desired features. Diffusion LMS is introduced in this estimation strategy to improve the performance and reduce the communication burden. With the proposed strategy, whether each node distributes its estimation depends on an alternative parameter. The node only exchanges its estimation when the instant time meets some conditions. Next, each node combines the estimations of neighbors with its own estimation using combination coefficients upon the topology of the network. At last, the nodes update their estimations with a normalized LMS algorithm. The proposed AD-LMS strategy is compared to standard diffusion strategy. The results show that they achieve exactly the same coverage rate and nearly the network performance (network MSD and steady-state MSD) of standard diffusion strategy while reducing the communication burden significantly.
2. Abdolee, R. and B. Champagne, "Diffusion LMS strategies in sensor networks with noisy input data," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 24, 3-14, 2015.
3. Lopes, C. G. and A. H. Sayed, "Incremental adaptive strategies over distributed networks," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, 4064-4077, 2007.
4. Liu, Y., C. Li, W. K. S. Tang, and Z. Zhang, "Distributed estimation over complex networks," Information Sciences, Vol. 197, 91-104, 2012.
5. Arablouei, R., Y. F. Huang, S. Werner, and K. Dogancay, "Reduced-communication diffusion LMS strategy for adaptive distributed estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 117, 355-361, 2014.
6. Sahoo, U. K., G. Panda, B. Mulgrew, and B. Majhi, "Robust incremental adaptive strategies for distributed networks to handle outliers in both input and desired data," Signal Processing, Vol. 96, 300-309, 2014.
7. Cattivelli, F. S. and A. H. Sayed, "Analysis of spatial and incremental LMS processing for distributed estimation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, 1465-1480, 2011.
8. Lopes, C. G. and A. H. Sayed, "Diffusion least-mean squares over adaptive networks: Formulation and performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, 3122-3136, 2008.
9. Cattivelli, F. S. and A. H. Sayed, "Diffusion LMS strategies for distributed estimation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, 1035-1048, 2010.
10. Chen, J. and A. H. Sayed, Diffusion Adaptation Strategies for Distributed Optimization and Learning over Networks, IEEE Press, 2012.
11. Fernandezbes, J., J. A. Azpicuetaruiz, M. T. M. Silva, and J. Arenasgarcia, "A novel scheme for diffusion networks with least-squares adaptive combiners,", Vol. 248, 1-6, 2012.
12. Tewari, M. and K. S. Vaisla, "Performance study of SEP and DEC hierarchical clustering algorithm for heterogeneous WSN," 2014 6th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, 385-389, Bhopal, India, 2014.
13. Senouci, M. R., A.Mellouk, H. Senouci, and A. Aissani, "Performance evaluation of network lifetime spatial-temporal distribution for WSN routing protocols," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 35, 1317-1328, Jul. 2012.
14. Shao, X., F. Chen, Q. Ye, and S. Duan, "A robust diffusion estimation algorithm with self-adjusting step-size in WSNs," Sensors, Vol. 17, 824, 2017.
15. Chen, F. and X. Shao, "Broken-motifs diffusion LMS algorithm for reducing communication load," Signal Processing, Vol. 133, 213-218, Apr. 1, 2017.
16. Yim, S. H., H. S. Lee, and W. J. Song, "A Proportionate diffusion LMS algorithm for sparse distributed estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems II Express Briefs, Vol. 62, 992-996, 2015.
17. Chen, Y., Y. Gu, and A. O. Hero, "Sparse LMS for system identification," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 3125-3128, 2009.
18. Xie, L., D. H. Choi, S. Kar, and H. V. Poor, "Fully distributed state estimation for wide-area monitoring systems," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 3, 1154-1169, 2012.
19. Di Lorenzo, P., S. Barbarossa, and A. H. Sayed, "Distributed spectrum estimation for small cell networks based on sparse diffusion adaptation," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 20, 1261-1265, 2013.
20. Sayin, M. O. and S. S. Kozat, "Compressive diffusion strategies over distributed networks for reduced communication load," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 62, 5308-5323, 2014.
21. Cheng, J., D. Yu, and Y. Yang, "A fault diagnosis approach for roller bearings based on EMD method and AR model," Journal of Vibration Engineering, Vol. 20, 350-362, 2006.