Cancer treatment is one of the several new applications which use subnanosecond pulse and picosecond high voltage pulse. In particular, picosecond pulses can introduce important non-thermal changes in cell biology, especially the permeabilization of the cell membrane. The Prolate Spheroidal Impulse Radiating Antenna (PSIRA) is used to radiate very fast pulses in a narrow beam width with low dispersion and high field amplitude. The beamwidth of the radiated pulse is further reduced by using near field focusing lens. In this proposed work, the compact partition lens system is designed for miniaturized PSIRA to focus the radiated impulse to the target (skin) location. The near field focusing lens is used to enhance the resolution on the target location. The PSR with Modified Bicone Antenna (MBA) with lens configuration provides greatly reduced spot size. The spot size on the target(skin) is measured as 3mm along the lateral direction and 6 mm along axial direction.
2. Schoenbach, K. H., B. Hargrave, R. P. Joshi, J. F. Kolb, C. Osgood, R. Nuccitelli, A. Pakhomov, R. J. Swanson, M. Stacey, J. A. White, S. Xiao, J. Zhang, S. J. Beebe, P. F. Blackmore, and E. S. Buescher, "Bioelectric effects of intense nanosecond pulses," IEEE Transacions on Dielectric Electrical Insulation, Vol. 14, No. 5, 1088-1119, 2007.
3. Schoenbach, K. H., S. Xiao, R. P. Joshi, J. T. Camp, T. Heeren, J. F. Kolb, and S. J. Beebe, "The effect of intense subnanaosecond electrical pulses on biological cells," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 36, No. 2, 414-422, Apr. 2008.
4. Petrishia, A. and M. Sasikala, "Design of compact electromagnetic impulse radiating antenna for melanoma treatment," Electromagnetic Biology Medicine, Vol. 35, No. 2, 134-142, Feb. 2015.
5. Begaud, X., C. Roblin, S. Bories, A. Sibille, and A. C. Lepage, "Antenna design, analysis and numerical modeling for impulse UWB," WPMC 2004, Italy, 2004.
6. Ghosh, D., A. De, M. C. Taylor, T. K. Sarkar, M. C. Wicks, and E. L. Mokole, "Transmission and reception by ultra wideband (UWB) antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 5, 67-99, 2006.
7. Koshelev, V. I., V. P. Gubanov, A. M. Efremov, S. D. Korovin, B. M. Kovalchuk, V. V. Plisko, A. S. Stepchenko, and K. N. Sukhushin, "High-Power ultrawideband radiation source with multielement array antenna," 13th Int. Symp. on High Current Electronics, 2004.
8. Andreev, Yu. A., Yu. I. Buyanov, and V. I. Koshelev, "Combined antennas for high-power ultrawideband pulse radiation," 14th Int. Symp. on High Current Electronics, 2006.
9. Hizal, A. and U. Kazak, "A broadband coaxial ridged horn antenna," Proc. 19th Eur. Microwave Conf., 247-252, 1989.
10. Diot, J. C., P. Delmote, J. Andrieu, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, B. Jecko, S. Colson, R. Guillerey, and M. Brishoual, "A novel antenna for transient applications in the frequency band 300 MHz-3 GHz: The valentine antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 987-990, 2007.
11. Delmote, P, C. Dubois, J. Andrieu, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, B. Beillard, B. Jecko, T. Largeau, R. Guillerey, and S. Colson, "Two original UWB antennas: The dragonfly antenna and the valentine antenna," Proc. Radar, Touldouse, France, 2004.
12. Desrumaux, L., A. Godard, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, J. Andrieu, and B. Jecko, "An original antenna for transient high power UWB arrays: The shark antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2010.
13. Xiao, S., S. Altunc, P. Kumar, C. E. Baum, and K. H. Schoenbach, "A reflector antenna for focusing in the near field," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 12-15, 201.
14. Nabelek, B., M. Maly, and V. Jirka, "Linear Fresnel lenses, their design and use," Renewable Energy, Vol. 1, No. 3-4, 403-408, 1991.
15. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, R. Sauleau, and S. I. Alekseev, "New method for determining dielectric properties of skin and phantoms at millimeter waves based on heating kinetics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 3, Mar. 2012.
16. Camp, J. T., Y. Jing, J. Zhuang, J. F. Kolb, S. J. Beebe, J. Song, R. P. Joshi, S. Xiao, and K. H. Schoenbach, "Cell death induced by subnanosecond pulsed electric fields at elevated temperatures," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 40, No. 10, Oct. 2012.
17., , http://niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tissprop.
18. Gustrau, F. and A. Bahr, "W-band investigation of material parameters, SAR distribution, and thermal response in human tissue," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 10, Oct. 2000.
19. Garon, E. B., D. Saucer, P. T. Vernier, T. Tang, Y. Sun, L. Marcu, M. A. Gundersen, and H. P. Koeffler, "In vitro and in vivo evaluation and a case report of intense nanosecond pulsed electric field as a local therapy for human malignancies," Int. J. Cancer, Vol. 121, No. 3, 675-682, Aug. 2007.
20. Kumar, P., C. E. Baum, S. Altunc, J. Buchenauer, S. Xiao, C. G. Christodoulou, E. Schamiloglu, and K. H. Schoenbach, "Hyperband antenna to launch and focus fast high-voltage pulses onto biological targets," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1090-1101, 2011.
21. Xiao, S., S. Altunc, P. Kumar, C. E. Baum, and K. H. Schoenbach, "A reflector antenna for focusing in the nearfield," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 12-15, 2010.
22. Qiu, J., B. S. Zhang, and N. Wang, "Improved design of the reflector impulse radiating antenna," International conference on Ultrewideband and Ultra-short Impulse Signals, 15-19, Sevastopol, Ukraine, 2008.
23. Singh, D. K., D. C. Pande, and A. Bhattacharya, "Improved feed design for enhance performance of reflector based impulse radiating antennas," Sensor and Simulation Notes, Note 565, 2013.
24. Lee, D., H. Lee, S. Hwang, and J. Ahn, "Design of an impulse radiating antenna using a curved TEM-wire fed parabola," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 2012.