In this article, a negative index metamaterial (NIM) superstrate is designed and cooperated with the filtenna to produce miniaturize communication front end for gain enhancement without any substantial increase in the profile of the whole structure. A finite array Double H Split Ring (DHSR) of 11x9 unit cells has been designed on a dielectric substrate to form the NIM metamaterial superstrate. The proposed superstrates and filtenna have an overall dimension of 0.67λox0.54λox1.19λo at 10.16 GHz with 10.6 dB total broadside gain in simulation and 9.8 dB in measurement at 10.22 GHz (λo = 30 mm). This miniaturized communication front end which consists of a filter, an antenna and a gain enhancer affords smaller size with the overall volume of 0.43λo3 in the context of using metamaterial superstrate for gain enhancement reported in the earlier literatures.
1. Zhang, Y. L., W. Hong, K. Wu, J. X. Chen, and H. J. Tang, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide cavity filter with defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4I, 1280-1286, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845750
2. Atia, A. E. and A. E.Williams, "Narrow-bandpass waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 20, No. 4, 258-265, 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127732
3. Wang, K. and C. Zaki, "Dielectric resonators and filters," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 8, No. 5, 115-127, 2007. doi:10.1109/MMM.2007.903648
4. Deslandes, K. W. D., "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
5. Uchimura, H., T. Takenoshita, and M. Fujii, "Development of laminated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2438-2443, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.739232
6. Node, N., W. Shen, X. Sun, W. Yin, S. Member, J. Mao, S. Member, and A. D. Model, "A novel single-cavity dual mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with non-resonating node," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 6, 368-370, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2020017
7. Shen, W., W. Yin, S. Member, and X. Sun, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 2, 2010-2012, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2091402
8. Yu, C., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, and H. Wang, "Ku-band linearly polarized omnidirectional planar filtenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 310-313, 2012.
9. Yusuf, Y. and X. Gong, "Compact Low-loss integration of high-Q 3-D filters with high efficient antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 857-865, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2100407
10. Wang, R. and P. Gao, "A compact microstrip ultra-wideband filtenna," 2014 15th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, Aug. 2014.
11. Kim, J. H., C.-H. Ahn, and J.-K. Bang, "Antenna gain enhancement using a holey superstrate," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 64, No. 3, 1164-1167, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2518650
12. Li, D., Z. Szabo, X. Qing, E. Li, and Z. N. Chen, "A high gain antenna with an optimized metamaterial inspired superstrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 6018-6023, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2213231
13. Yusuf, Y., X. Gong, and H. Cheng, "Co-designed substrate-integrated waveguide filters with patch antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 7, 493-501, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0431