Surface impedance of thin graphite films with metallic properties is evaluated by a waveguide technique based on measuring reflection and transmission coefficients of thin film membranes at operating frequencies in rectangular waveguides. One- and two-layer membranes of finite thickness, completely filling the waveguide cross-section, are investigated. Formulas allowing analytical estimates of surface impedances for nonmagnetic films made of amorphous carbon are derived. Simulation results for graphite films at frequencies from 5 to 10 GHz are analyzed.
1. Kalinin, Yu. E., M. A. Kashirin, V. A. Makagonov, S. Yu. Pankov, and A. V. Sitnikov, "Properties of amorphous carbon thin films grown by ion beam sputtering," Technical Physics, Vol. 62, No. 11, 1724-1730, 2017 (in Russian). doi:10.1134/S1063784217110123
3. Peng, X. L. and T. W. Clyne, "Mechanical stability of DLC films on metallic substrates: Part I — Film structure and residual stress levels," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 312, No. 1–2, 207-218, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0040-6090(97)00588-9
4. Moustafa, S. H., M. Koos, and I. Pocsik, "DC electrical properties of amorphous carbon with different bonding hybridization," J. Non-crystalline Solid, Vol. 227-230, 1087-1091, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0022-3093(98)00253-1
5. Onishchenko, A. A. and N. Ya. Popova, "Determination of the parameters of dielectrics through their radio engineering characteristics," Elektronnaya Tekhnika, Ser. Elektronika SVCH, No. 11, 21–23, 1980 (in Russian).
6. Chuprov, I. I. and A. P. Minkus, "Determination of dielectric and magnetic permeabilities with the help of microwave circuit analyzers," Tekhnika Sredstv Svyazi, Ser. Radioizmeritel’naya tekhnika, Vol. 6, 1–13, 1984 (in Russian).
7. Polishchuk, V. I., "Method and apparatus for measuring the electrical parameters of weakly absorbing dielectrics by a panoramic VSWR meter," Elektronnaya Tekhnika, Ser. Elektronika SVCH, Vol. 9, No. 413, 52–56, 1988 (in Russian).
8. Yatsuk, L. P., V. V. Chukhov, and S. V Deripaska, "A simple method for estimating the dielectric constant and the loss tangent," Visnyk Kharkivs’koho Natsional’noho Universytetu imeni V. N. Karazina, Vol. 23, No. 1094, 66-71, 2013 (in Russian).
9. Antonets, I. V., L. V. Kotov, S. V. Nekipelov, and Ye. N. Karpushov, "Conducting and reflecting properties of thin metal films," Technical Physics, Vol. 49, No. 11, 1496-1500, 2004 (in Russian). doi:10.1134/1.1826197
10. Vainshtein, L. A., Diffraction Theory and Factorization Method, Golem Press in Boulder, Colo., 1969.
11. Berdnik, S. L., D. Y. Penkin, V. A. Katrich, Yu. M. Penkin, and M. V. Nesterenko, "Using the concept of surface impedance in problems of electrodynamics," Radiofizika & Radioastronomiya, Vol. 19, 57-80, 2014 (in Russian).
12. Kuchling, H., Taschenbuch der Physik: Mit Zahlreichen Tabellen, Fachbuchverl, Leipzig im Carl- Hanser-Verlag, 2004.