A low profile dual-band passive Ultra High Frequency Radio Frequency Identification (UHF RFID) tag antenna designed to operate at two RFID bands allocated for use in Europe (865-868 MHz) and Japan (950-956 MHz) is proposed. The antenna has two eccentric circular rings of different radii to provide dual band response. An arc-shaped strip with Impinj Monza-4 IC chip is used to feed the two rings simultaneously by microstrip-line coupling-feed technique. The proposed design is simulated using Ansoft HFSS, and the prototype is fabricated. The return losses at 866 MHz and 952 MHz are measured to be -12.25 dB and -12.99 dB, respectively, which are in good agreement with the simulated results. The proposed antenna exhibits a 10 dB bandwidth of 9 MHz from 862 to 870 MHz and an 8 MHz 10 dB bandwidth from 949 to 956 MHz covering the UHF RFID bands in Europe and Japan. The maximum read ranges are measured to be around 3 m in the 865-868 MHz band and 2.6 m in the 950-956 MHz band.
2. Bhaskar, S., S. Singhal, and A. K. Singh, "Folded-slot active tag antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 89-97, 2018.
3. Nekoogar, F. and F. Dowla, Ultra-Wideband Radio Frequency Identification Systems, Springer, 2011.
4. Heidrich, J., D. Brenk, J. Essel, S. Schwarzer, K. Seemann, G. Fischer, and R. Weigel, "The roots, rules, and rise of RFID," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 3, 78-86, May 2010.
5. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: a review and a practical application," IEEE Transactionon Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, December 2005.
6. Hunt, V. D., A. Puglia, and M. Puglia, RFID: A Guide to Radio Frequency Identification, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2007.
7. Paredes, F., G. Z. Gonzalez, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Dual-band impedance-matching networks based on split-ring resonators for applications in RF Identification (RFID)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory And Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1159-1166, May 2010.
8. Chen, J. S. and K. L. Wong, "A single-layer dual-frequency rectangular microstrip patch antenna using a single probe feed," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 38-84, 1996.
9. Liang, Z. X., D. C. Yang, X. C. Wei, and E. P. Li, "Dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna with two eccentric rings and an arc-shaped conducting strip," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 834-837, 2016.
10. Croq, F. and D. Pozar, "Multifrequency operation of microstrip antennas using aperture coupled parallel resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 11, 1367-1374, November 1992.
11. Richards, W. F., S. E. Davidson, and S. A. Long, "Dual-band reactively loaded microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 5, 556-560, May 1985.
12. Nakano, H. and K. Vichien, "Dual-frequency square patch antenna with rectangular notch," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 16, 1067-1068, August 1989.
13. Yazidi, M. L., M. Himdi, and J. P. Daniel, "Aperture coupled microstrip antenna for dual frequency operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 17, 1506-1508, August 1993.
14. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, S. Zuffanelli, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Free-space and on-metal dual-band tag for UHF-RFID applications in Europe and US," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 577-590, 2013.
15. Kim, D. and J. Yeo, "Dual-band long-range passive RFID tag antenna using an AMC ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2620-2626, June 2012.
16. Kuo, S. H., H. D. Chen, S. C. Pan, Y. M. Tseng, and J. L. Jheng, "Compact circularly polarized circular microstrip tag antennamountable on metallic surface," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1107-1112, May 2013.
17. Impinj Monza Tag Chip, , Available Online: http://www.impinj.com.
18. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
20. Kuo, S. K., S. L. Chen, and C. T. Lin, "An accurate method for impedance measurement of RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 9-106, 2008.
21. Zhu, H., Y. C. A. Ko, and T. T. Ye, "Impedance measurement for balanced UHF RFID tag antennas," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 128-131, 2010.
22. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance matchingand size-reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1, 66-79, February 2008.
23. Chawla, V. and D. S. Ha, "An overview of passive RFID," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 9, 11-17, September 2007.
24. Park, J. Y. and J. M. Woo, "Miniaturized dual-band S-shaped RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 23, 1339-1341, November 2008.
25. He, Y. and B. Zhao, "A novel UHF RFID dual-band tag antenna with inductively coupled feed structure," IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2739-2743, Shanghai, China, 2013.