A wideband planar linear-circular polarization converter comprised of periodic centrosymmetric dual-loop unit cells with wideband property is presented in this letter. Full wave simulation and parameter study are carried out to demonstrate the basic working principle of the converter. Also, the performances of the device under oblique and deflected incidence situations are considered and discussed. A prototype is manufactured and tested. The measured results show that its working band covers from 19.3 GHz to 31.8 GHz with less than 3 dB axial ratio, which agree well with the simulated ones and thus validate the design concept.
2. Zhao, J., Y. Cheng, and Z. Cheng, "Design of a photo-excited switchable broadband re ective linear polarization conversion metasurface for terahertz waves," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-10, 2018.
3. Fang, C., Y. Cheng, Z. He, J. Zhao, and R. Gong, "Design of a wideband re ective linear polarization converter based on the ladder-shaped structure metasurface," Optik, Vol. 137, 148-155, 2017.
4. Cheng, Y. Z., C. Fang, X. S. Mao, R. Z. Gong, and L. Wu, "Design of an ultrabroadband and high- efficiency re ective linear polarization convertor at optical frequency," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 8, No. 6, 1-9, 2016.
5. Zhao, J. C. and Y. Z. Cheng, "Ultra-broadband and high-efficiency re ective linear polarization convertor based on planar anisotropic metamaterial in microwave region," Optik, Vol. 136, 52-57, 2017.
6. Cheng, Y., R. Gong, and L. Wu, "Ultra-broadband linear polarization conversion via diode-like asymmetric transmission with composite metamaterial for terahertz waves," Plasmonics, Vol. 12, No. 4, 1113-1120, 2017.
7. Fartookzadeh, M., "Design of metamirrors for linear to circular polarization conversion with super- octave bandwidth," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 64, No. 18, 1854-1861, 2017.
8. Fartookzadeh, M., "Multi-band metamirrors for linear to circular polarization conversion with wideband and wide-angle performances," Applied Physics B, Vol. 123, No. 4, 115, 2017.
9. Chu, R. and K. Lee, "Analytical model of a multilayered meander-line polarizer plate with normal and oblique plane-wave incidence," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, 652-661, 1987.
10. Young, L., L. A. Robinson, and C. Hacking, "Meander-line polarizer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 3, 376-378, 1973.
11. Zhao, R., H.-Y. Chen, L. Zhang, F. Li, P. Zhou, J. Xie, and L.-J. Deng, "Design and implementation of high efficiency and broadband transmission-type polarization converter based on diagonal split- ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 161, 1-10, 2018.
12. Lin, B., J. Wu, X. Da, W. Li, and J. Ma, "A linear-to-circular polarization converter based on a second-order band-pass frequency selective surface," Applied Physics A, Vol. 123, No. 1, 43, 2017.
13. Cheng, Y., C. Wu, Z. Z. Cheng, and R. Z. Gong, "Ultra-compact multi-band chiral metamaterial circular polarizer based on triple twisted split-ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 155, 105-113, 2016.
14. Lin, B., J. Guo, B. Huang, L. Fang, P. Chu, and X. Liu, "Wideband linear-to-circular polarization conversion realized by a transmissive anisotropic metasurface," Chinese Physics B, Vol. 27, No. 5, 054204, 2018.
15. Zhang, W., J. Li, and J. Xie, "A broadband circular polarizer based on cross-shaped composite frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5623-5627, 2017.
16. Ericsson, A. and D. Sjoberg, "Design and analysis of a multilayer meander line circular polarization selective structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 8, 4089-4101, 2017.
17. Li, Y., J. Zhang, S. Qu, J. Wang, L. Zheng, Y. Pang, Z. Xu, and A. Zhang, "Achieving wide- band linear-to-circular polarization conversion using ultra-thin bi-layered metasurfaces," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 117, No. 4, 044501, 2015.
18. Tamayama, Y., K. Yasui, T. Nakanishi, and M. Kitano, "A linear-to-circular polarization converter with half transmission and half re ection using a single-layered metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 105, No. 2, 021110, 2014.
19. Akbari, M., M. Farahani, A. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Ka-band linear to circular polarization converter based on multilayer slab with broadband performance," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 17927-17937, 2017.
20. Euler, M., V. Fusco, R. Cahill, and R. Dickie, "Comparison of frequency-selective screen-based linear to circular split-ring polarisation convertors," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 11, 1764-1772, 2010.
21. Euler, M., V. Fusco, R. Cahill, and R. Dickie, "325 GHz single layer sub-millimeter wave FSS based split slot ring linear to circular polarization convertor," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2457-2459, 2010.
22. Euler, M., V. Fusco, R. Dickie, R. Cahill, and J. Verheggen, "Sub-mm wet etched linear to circular polarization FSS based polarization converters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3103-3106, 2011.
23. Wang, J., W. Wu, and Z. Shen, "Improved polarization converter using symmetrical semi-ring slots," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2052-2053, 2014.
24. Altintas, O., E. Unal, O. Akgol, M. Karaaslan, F. Karadag, and C. Sabah, "Design of a wide band metasurface as a linear to circular polarization converter," Modern Physics Letters B, Vol. 31, No. 30, 1750274, 2017.
25. Akgol, O., E. Unal, O. Altintas, M. Karaaslan, F. Karadag, and C. Sabah, "Design of metasurface polarization converter from linearly polarized signal to circularly polarized signal," Optik, Vol. 161, 12-19, 2018.
26. Akgol, O., O. Altintas, E. Unal, M. Karaaslan, and F. Karadag, "Linear to left-and right- hand circular polarization conversion by using a metasurface structure," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 1, 133-138, 2018.
27. Ma, X., C. Huang, M. Pu, C. Hu, Q. Feng, and X. Luo, "Single-layer circular polarizer using metamaterial and its application in antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1770-1774, 2012.
28. Zhu, H., K. L. Chung, X. Sun, S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "CP metasurfaced antennas excited by LP sources," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-2, 2012.
29. Huang, Y., L. Yang, J. Li, Y. Wang, and G. Wen, "Polarization conversion of metasurface for the application of wide band low-prole circular polarization slot antenna," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 109, No. 5, 054101, 2016.
30. Fei, P., Z. Shen, X. Wen, and F. Nian, "A single-layer circular polarizer based on hybrid meander line and loop conguration," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4609-4614, 2015.
31. Fei, P., X. Wen, P. Zhang, and W. Guo, "A wideband single-layered circular polarizer with centrosymmetric dual-loop elements," 2016 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1271-1274, 2016.