Accurate analysis of the thermal field in switched reluctance motor (SRM) is critical to the service life and safety performance of the SRM. According to the general structure of SRM, a two-dimensional (2D) finite element analysis (FEA) model was established, and the loss of each component, especially the iron loss, was analyzed by Orthogonal Fourier decomposition method, revealing the characteristics of the loss. A magnetic-thermal one-way coupling method is further used to model the temperature of the SRM, and basic assumptions and reasonable boundary conditions are set. Transient thermal analysis was carried out under natural cooling conditions and high vacuum conditions, respectively, and the results were compared and analyzed to understand the temperature distribution of the main components under two operating conditions.
2. Tarimer, I and R. Gurbuz, "Sizing of electrical motors for gearless and directly stimulating applications," Electronics & Electrical Engineering, No. 4, 21-26, 2015.
3. Tarimer, I, "Investigation of the effects of rotor pole geometry and permanent magnet to line start permanent magnet synchronous motor's efficiency," Elektronika Ir Elektrotechnika, No. 2, 67-72, 2009.
4. Inamura, S., T. Sakai, and K. Sawa, "A temperature rise analysis of switched reluctance motor due to the core and copper loss by FEM," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 39, No. 3, 1554-1557, 2003.
5. Castano, S. M., et al., "Radial forces and vibration analysis in an external-rotor switched reluctance machine," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 11, No. 2, 252-259, 2017.
6. Chen, H., Y. Xu, and H. C. Iu, "Analysis of temperature distribution in power converter for switched reluctance motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 991-994, 2012.
7. Sun, H., et al., "Analysis of temperature eld in switched reluctance motor based on nite-element," Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 2, 597-601, 2008.
8. Boivie, J., "Iron loss model and measurements of the losses in a switched reluctance motor," Sixth International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives, IET, 219-222, 1993.
9. Liu, C., et al., "Design and performance analysis of magnetic eld modulated ux- switching permanent magnet machine based on electrical-thermal bi-directional coupling design method," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 37, No. 21, 6237-6245, 2017.
10. Yu, Q., B. Bilgin, and A. Emadi, "Loss and efficiency analysis of switched reluctance machines using a new calculation method," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 5, 3072-3080, 2015.
11. Yang, Y., et al., "Thermal management of electric machines," IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, Vol. 7, No. 2, 104-116, 2016.
12. Eit, M. A., et al., "Perturbation nite element method for efficient copper losses calculation in switched reluctance machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1-4, 2017.
13. Li, G. J., et al., "Comparative studies between classical and mutually coupled switched reluctance motors usinghermal-electromagnetic analysis for driving cycles," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 4, 839-847, 2011.
14. Arbab, N., et al., "Thermal modeling and analysis of a double-stator switched reluctance motor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 30, No. 3, 1209-1217, 2015.
15. Udhav, U. G., et al., "Thermal and mechanical design considerations for a switched reluctance motor," 2016 7th India International Conference on Power Electronics (IICPE), IEEE, 1-6, 2016.
16. Howey, B., et al., "Thermal trade-off analysis of an exterior rotor e-bike switched reluctance motor," IEEE Transportation Electrication Conference and Expo (ITEC), 605-612, 2017.
17. Jang, J. H., et al., "Numerical study on electromagnetics and thermal cooling of a switched reluctance motor," Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, Vol. 6, 16-27, 2015.
18. Kasprzak, M., et al., "Thermal analysis of a three-phase 24/16 switched reluctance machine used in HEVs," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 1-7, 2016.
19. Raminosoa, T., et al., "Design and optimization of a switched reluctance motor driving a compressor for a PEM fuel-cell system for automotive applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2988-2997, 2010.
20. Huang, X. and X. Wang, "Switched reluctance motor loss optimization based on nite element method," 2016 International Symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control (IS3C), 567-570, 2016.