This paper deals with the influence of steel non-linearity when calculating the induced current/voltage on a pipeline circuit with earth return under 50-60 Hz induction by power lines or electrified railway lines. By having at disposal the measured curves of the per unit length pipe internal impedance versus the current flowing in it, one can calculate induced voltage and current on the pipeline-earth circuit by means of the successive approximations method. The paper presents some comparison of the results when ignoring or not the steel pipe non-linearity. In certain cases, the differences can be significant.
2. ITU-T, "Directives concerning the protection of telecommunication lines against harmful effects from electric power and electried railway lines," Capacitive, Inductive and Conductive Coupling: Physical Theory and Calculation Methods, Vol. III, ITU, 1989.
3. CIGRE, "Guide on the in uence of high voltage A. C. power systems on metallic pipeline," CIGRE, 1995.
4. EPRI, "Mutual design considerations for overhead AC transmission lines and gas transmission pipelines," Engineering Analysis, Vol. 1, EPRI, 1978.
5. EPRI, "Power line fault current coupling to nearby natural gas pipelines," Analytic Methods and Graphical Techniques, Vol. 1, EPRI, 1987.
6. Dawalibi, F. P. and R. D. Southey, "Analysis of electrical interference from power lines to gas pipelines part I: Computation methods," IEEE Trans. on Power Deliv., Vol. 4, No. 3, 1840-1846, 1989.
7. CIGRE, "A.C. Corrosion on metallic pipelines due to interference from AC power lines | Phenomenon, modelling and countermeasures,", CIGRE, 2006.
8. Sunde, E. D., Earth Conduction Effects in Transmission Systems, D. Van Nostrand, 1st Edition, 1949.
9. Christoforidis, G. C., D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, "Inductive interference calculation on imperfect coated pipelines due to nearby faulted parallel lines," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 66, 139-148, 2003.
10. Christoforidis, G. C., D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, "A hybrid method for calculating the inductive interference caused by faulted power lines to nearby buried pipelines," IEEE Trans. on Power Deliv., Vol. 20, No. 2, 1465-1473, 2005.
11. Borucki, R., H. Szukalski, G. Szymanski, and A. Zietkowiak, "In uence of earth-fault current in overhead AC Transmission lines on underground conductors," CIGRE Symposium, 22-81, Stockholm, Sweden, 1981.
12. Machczynski, W. and G. Szymanski, "Effects of short-circuit currents in an overhead AC transmission line on underground conductors," Rozprawy Elektrotechniczne, Vol. 27, No. 4, 967-978, 1981.
13. Lucca, G., "Two steps numerical method for calculating the AC interference from a faulty power line on nearby buried pipelines," Euro. Trans. Electr. Power, Vol. 21, No. 7, 2037-2052, 2011.
14. Micu, D. D., L. Czumbil, G. Christoforidis, and A. Ceclan, "Layer recurrent neural network solution for an electromagnetic interference problem," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1410-1413, 2011.
15. Micu, D. D., L. Czumbil, G. C. Christoforidis, A. Ceclan, and D. Stet, "Evaluation of induced AC voltages in underground metallic pipeline," COMPEL, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1133-1143, 2012.
16. Micu, D. D., G. C. Christoforidis, and L. Czumbil, "AC Interference on pipelines due to double circuit power lines: A detailed study," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 103, 1-8, 2013.
17. Czarnywojtek, P. and W. Machczynski, "Wave propagation effects induced in transmission pipelines by EMI from power lines," Electr. Eng., 2017.
18. Cristofolini, A., A. Popoli, and L. Sandrolini, "A comparison between Carson's formulae and a 2D FEM approach for the evaluation of AC interference caused by overhead power lines on buried metallic pipelines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 39-48, 2017.
19. Lucca, G., "Impedances internes de conducteurs ferromagnetiques dans les problemes d'interference a frequence industrielle," 8eme Colloque International sur la Compatibilite Electromagnetique, Lille, France, September 1996.
20. Lucca, G., "Electromagnetic interference from power lines on pipelines: in uence of pipe insulating coating degradation," Int. Trans. Electr. Energ. Syst., Vol. 26, No. 12, 2699-2712, 2016.
21. Czarnywojtek, P. and W. Machczynski, "Computer simulation of responses of earth-return circuits to the AC and DC external excitation," Euro. Trans. Electr. Power, Vol. 13, No. 3, 173-183, 2003.
22. Lucca, G. and G. L. Solbiati, "Transmission line circuit with non linear impedances: application to EMC problems," 11th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Zurich, Switzerland, March 1995.
23. Varju, G. and G. L. Karolyi, "Calculating the screening effect of a metal cable sheath with the consideration of nonlinearity due to steel armouring," 10th International Wroc law Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 252-256, Wroclaw, Poland, June 1990.