A medium-gain vertically polarized omnidirectional antenna array (VPOA) with wide bandwidth is proposed in this paper. Initially, a conventional printed dipole antenna with integrated balun (IB) is introduced to use as the wideband element. Then, four antenna elements are alternately arranged in the vertical direction to achieve high gain. Moreover, the four elements are excited by a shunt-fed feeding network which is utilized to provide uniform amplitude and phase for the elements. The feeding network has a common ground with the balun, and it can be easily integrated with the IB. Furthermore, two metallic cylinders placed in the normal direction of the substrate are used as two reflectors to improve the gain variation in the horizontal plane. In order to validate the design method, a prototype is fabricated and measured. The measured results indicate that the proposed antenna has an impedance bandwidth of 56% (1.12-2 GHz) for VSWR≤2 and a simple structure with lateral size of 0.45 λ0 (λ0 is the free-space wavelength at center frequency). In addition, stable omnidirectional radiation patterns are obtained with gains around 6.5 dB and the gain variations in the horizontal plane less than 2 dB across the operating band.
2. Hsiao, F.-R. and K. L. Wong, "Omnidirectional planar folded dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1898-1902, 2004.
3. Zivanovic, B., T. M. Weller, and C. Costas, "Series-fed microstrip antenna arrays and their application to omni-directional antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4954-4959, 2012.
4. Wei, K., et al., "A triband shunt-fed omnidirectional planar dipole array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 850-853, 2010.
5. Lau, K. F. and K. M. Luk, "A wideband monopolar wire-patch antenna for indoor base station applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 155-157, 2005.
6. Row, J.-S., S.-H. Yeh, and K.-L. Wong, "A wide-band monopolar plate-patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, 1328-1330, 2002.
7. Judasz, T. J. and B. B. Balsley, "Improved theoretical and experimental models for the coaxial colinear antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 3, 289-296, 1989.
8. Kiang, J. F., "Analysis of linear coaxial antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 5, 636-642, 1998.
9. Bancroft, R. and B. Bateman, "An omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 3151-3153, 2004.
10. Chen, X., K. Huang, and X. B. Xu, "A novel planar slot array antenna with omnidirectional pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4853-4857, 2011.
11. Wong, K.-L., F.-R. Hsiao, and T.-W. Chiou, "Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 624-628, 2004.
12. Edward, B. and D. Rees, "A broadband printed dipole with integrated balun," Microw. J., 339-344, May 1987.
13. Li, R. L., et al., "Equivalent-circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and an array for base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2180-2184, 2009.
14. Zhang, Z.-Y. and C.-B. Zhang, "Wideband omnidirectional printed dipole antenna with coupling feed for wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 89-99, 2013.
15. Lu, J.-H., S.-W. You, and H.-M. Chin, "Planar dual-band dipole array for LTE/WiMAX access points," Proceedings of ISAP 2014, 329-330, 2014.
16. Yu, Y. F., J. Xiong, and R. Wang, "A wideband omnidirectional antenna array with low gain variation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 386-389, 2016.
17. Wang, H., S. He, and Y. F. Yu, "A wideband omnidirectional antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 386-389, 2016.
18. Puente, C., J. Anguera, and C. Borja, "Dual-band dual-polarized antenna array,", US Pat. 6937206B2, 2005.
19. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwala, "A high-directivity microstrip patch antenna design by using genetic algorithm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 131-144, 2013.
20. Jayasinghe, J. W., D. N. Uduwala, and J. Anguera, "Increasing the directivity of a microstrip patch array by genetic optimization," Journal of National Science Foundation, Vol. 43, No. 1, 83-89, 2015.
21. Robers, W. K., "A new wideband balun," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 45, 1628-1631, 1957.
22. Baeer, R. and J. W. Wolfe, "A printed circuit balun for use with spiral antennas," IRE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 8, 319-325, 1960.
23. Oltmaa, G., "The compensated balun," IEEE Trans. on MTT, 112-119, 1966.
24. Kraus, J. D., Antennas: For All Applications, 3rd Ed., 190-193, 2002.