A single fed polarization reconfigurable antenna is presented. The antenna comprises of a circular ring-shaped radiating element along with reconfigurable feed network located at its center which eliminates the need for additional space for reconfigurable feed network. A separate biasing network is placed to bias the pin diodes in the feed network for polarization reconfiguration and achieves three polarization states (linear, left-hand and right-hand circularly polarization). The antenna is designed to operate at 2.4 GHz ISM band. The antenna parameters are simulated using Ansoft high-frequency structure simulator and are validated using Agilent network analyzer (N9925A) and antenna test systems. The antenna achieves a good -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 85 MHz (2.40-2.485) GHz in linear state and 85 MHz (2.41-2.495) GHz in the circularly polarization states along with better cross-polarization isolation (≥ 15 dB) in the operating bands and hence more suitable for modern wireless communications.
2. Lin, W. and H. Wong, "Polarization reconfigurable aperture-fed patch antenna and array," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 1510-1517, 2016.
3. Anantha, B., L. Merugu, and P. V. D. S. Rao, "A novel single feed frequency and polarization reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 8-16, Feb. 2017.
4. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Dual-cap mushroom-like metasurface used in CP reconfigurable monopole antenna for performance enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5949-5955, Dec. 2015.
5. Sun, H. and S. Sun, "A novel reconfigurable feeding network for quad-polarization-agile antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 311-316, Jan. 2016.
6. Row, J. S., W. L. Liu, and T. R. Chen, "Circular polarization and polarization reconfigurable designs for annular slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5998-6002, Dec. 2012.
7. Lin, W., H. Wong, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Circularly polarized antenna with reconfigurable broadside and conical beams facilitated by a mode switchable feed network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 2, 996-1001, 2018.
8. Qian, Y. H. and Q. X. Chu, "A polarization-reconfigurable water-loaded microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2179-2182, 2017.
9. Khan, M., G. Hayes, S. Zhang, M. Dickey, and G. Lazzi, "A pressure responsive fluidic microstrip open stub resonator using a liquid metal alloy," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 11, 577-579, Nov. 2012.
10. Liang, B., B. Sanz-Izquierdo, E. A. Parker, and J. C. Batchelor, "A frequency and polarization reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna using active EBG structure for satellite navigation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 1, 33-40, Jan. 2015.
11. Lin, W., S. Chen, R. W. Ziolkowski, and Y. J. Guo, "Reconfigurable, wideband, low-profile, circularly polarized antenna and array enabled by an artificial magnetic conductor ground," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 3, 1564-1569, 2018.
12. Wei, W.-B., Q.-Z. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, and H.-J. Zhou, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 63-68, 2007.
13. Arriola, A., E. Arruti, and J. I. Sancho, "PIN diodes and their impact on reconfigurable compact microstrip antennas with high frequency-ratio," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 11, 2676-2681, 2014.