A compact planar double inverted-F antenna (IFA) is proposed in this work. The antenna, composed of a shared short arm and two L-shaped open arms, has three operating bands, 1.7-1.9 GHz, 2.25-2.48 GHz and 5.33-5.8 GHz for Wi-Fi and LTE applications. It has the length of 80 mm, width of 23 mm and height of 1.6 mm. Near omnidirectional coverage of radiation patterns in x-y and x-z plane, are realized with peak gain of 3.3 dBi, 2.1 dBi and 4.1 dBi at 1.8 GHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.5 GHz, respectively. Based on reflection coefficients with different dimensions and current distributions, the functions of arms and via holes are analyzed in detail, which provide a useful guidance for design of multiband PIFA antennas.
1. Dar, K., M. Bakhouya, J. Gaber, M. Wack, and P. Lorenz, "Wireless communication technologies for ITS applications," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 156-162, May 2010. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2010.5458377
2. Dardari, D., P. Closas, and P. M. Djuric, "Indoor tracking: Theory, methods, and technologies," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1263-1278, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TVT.2015.2403868
3. Yang, C. and H. R. Shao, "WiFi-based indoor positioning," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 150-157, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7060497
4. Wu, C., Z. Yang, Z. Zhou, X. Liu, Y. Liu, and J. Cao, "Non-invasive detection of moving and stationary human with WiFi," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 33, No. 11, 2329-2342, Nov. 2015. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2015.2430294
5. Chen, Z. N., X. M. Qing, T. S. P. See, and W. K. Toh, "Antennas for WiFi connectivity," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2322-2329, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2012.2183830
6. Penttinen, J. T. J., The Telecommunications Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, New Delhi, 2015.
7. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "Compact triple-arm multi-band monopole antenna," Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop Antenna Technol. (IWAT): Small Antennas Novel Metamaterials, 172-175, 2006.
8. Su, C. M. and K. L. Wong, "Narrow at-plate antenna for 2.4 GHz WLAN operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 4, 344-345, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030257
9. Wong, K. L., L. C. Chou, and C. M. Su, "Dual-band at-plate antenna with a shorted parasitic element for laptop application," IEEE Trans.Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 539-544, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838754
10. Su, C. M., W. S. Chen, Y. T. Cheng, and K. L. Wong, "Shorted T-shaped monopole antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 3, 202-203, May 5, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20093
11. Liu, D. and B. Gaucher, "A triband antenna for WLAN application," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. USNC/URSI Nat. Radio Meeting, Vol. 2, 18-21, 2003.
12. Huitema, L., et al., "Compact and multiband dielectric resonator antenna with pattern diversity for multistandard mobile handheld devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 420-428, Nov. 2011.
13. Huang, D. L., H. L. Kuo, C. F. Yang, C. L. Liao, and S. T. Lin, "Compact multibranch inverted- F antenna to be embedded in a laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/IMT-E applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 838-841, 2010.
14. Franciscatto, B. R., H. Adel, M. H. C. Dias, and T. P. Vuong, "A compact IFA-based dual-band planar antenna for WiFi USB dongles," Proc. European Conference on Antennas and Propag., 325-329, The Hague, 2014.
15. Chiu, C. W. and Y. J. Chi, "Planar hexa-Band inverted-F antenna for portable device applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1099-1102, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033623
16. Pazin, L., N. Telzhensky, and Y. Leviatan, "Multiband at-plate inverted-F antenna for Wi- Fi/WiMAX operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 197-200, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.920848
17. Wong, K.-L. and C.-Y. Tsai, "Small-size stacked inverted-F antenna with two hybrid shorting strips for the LTE/WWAN tablet device," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 3962-3969, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2323415
18. Virga, K. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Low-prole enhanced-bandwidth PIFA antennas for wireless communications packaging," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1879-1888, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.641786
19. Liu, Z. D., P. S. Hall, and D. Wake, "Dual-frequency plannar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 1451-1458, Nov. 1997.
20. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and M. Kivikoski, "Single-feed dual-band planar inverted-F antenna with U-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1262-1264, Aug. 2000. doi:10.1109/8.884498
21. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, P. S. Ghafouri-Shiraz, and D. Wake, "Triple band planar inverted F antennas for handheld devices," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 2, 112-113, Jan. 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20000131
22. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 226-229, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819669
23. Pazin, L., N. Telzhensky, and Y. Leviatan, "Wideband at-plate inverted-F laptop antenna for WI-FI/WIMAX operation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 6, 568-573, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080017
24. Ghosh, S., T. N. Tran, and T. Le-Ngoc, "Miniaturized four-element diversity PIFA," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 396-400, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2251856
25. Wang, D. and C. H. Chan, "Multiband antenna for WiFi and WiGig communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 309-312, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2443013
26. Mendes, C. and C. Peixeiro, "Radiation efficiency of several handset antennas obtained with a modied wheeler cap method," Proc. 2nd Eur. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2007.
27. Asadallah, F. A., J. Costantine, and Y. Tawk, "A multiband compact recongurable PIFA based on nested slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 331-334, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2788465
28. Wakrim, L., S. Ibnyaich, and M. M. Hassani, "Multiband operation and performance enhancement of the PIFA antenna by using particle swarm optimization and overlapping method," Hindawi Appl. Comput. Intell. Soft Comput., 1-8, 2017.
29. Chen, L., Y. Wu, and K. Wong, "Triple-wideband inverted-F frame antenna for the LTE metal- casing smartphone," European Conf. Antennas Propag., 3064-3068, Paris, 2017.
30. Zhang, R., H. Kim, and H. Kim, "Triple-band ground radiation antenna for GPS, WiFi 2.4 and 5 GHz band applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 25, 2082-2084, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3440