A miniaturized U-Shape patch sensor (15 mm×15 mm) was designed at dual resonating frequencies (fr) 5.2 GHz and 6.8 GHz). The proposed design printed on FR4 material with a thickness of 1.676 mm and relative permittivity 4.4. To simulate the performances of the proposed design, the CST Microwave Studio (CST MWS) was used. The reflection coefficient of U-Shape patch sensor was measured. Basmati rice was investigated, and bulk density was increased with increase of moisture content, hence varied from 554.3 to 591 kg/m3. It has the longest average rice length (L) 7.2 mm, average width (W) 1.61 mm, and L/W ratio 4.47. The percentage of moisture was varied from 10.12% to 20.35% calculated on a wet weight basis. The lowest mean relative error (MRE) determined between predicted moisture content (PMC) and actual moisture content (AMC) was 0.55% at dual frequencies.
2. Troughton, P., "Measurement techniques in microstrip," Electron Lett., Vol. 5, 25-26, 1969.
3. Wolff, I. and N. Koppik, "Microstrip ring resonator and dispersion measurement on microstrip lines," Electron Lett., Vol. 7, 779-781, 1971.
4. Edwards, C., "Microstrip measurements," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, 338-341, 1982.
5. Bernard, P. A. and J. M. Gautray, "Measurement of dielectric constant using a microstrip ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 592-595, 1991.
6. Stephenson, I. M. and B. Ester, "Resonant techniques for establishing the equivalent circuits of small discontinuities in microstrip," Electron Lett., Vol. 7, 582-584, 1971.
7. Hoefer, W. J. R. and A. Chattopadhyay, "Evaluation of the equivalent circuit parameters of microstrip discontinuities through perturbation of a resonant ring," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 23, 1067-1071, 1975.
8. Farrar, A. and A. T. Adams, "Computation of lumped microstrip capacities by matrix methods - Rectangular sections and end effects," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 19, 495-496, 1971.
9. Napoli, L. S. and J. J. Hughes, "Foreshortening of microstrip open circuits on alumina substrates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 19, 559-561, 1971.
10. James, D. S. and S. H. Tse, "Microstrip end effects," Electron Lett., Vol. 8, 46-47, 1972.
11. Denlinger, E. J., "Losses of microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 513-522, 1980.
12. Katehi, P. B. and N. Alexopoulos, "Frequency-dependent characteristics of microstrip discontinuities in millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, 1029-1035, 1985.
13. Jackson, R. W. and D. M. Pozar, "Full-wave analysis of microstrip openend and gap discontinuities," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, 1036-1042, 1985.
14. Owens, R. P., "Curvature effect in microstrip ring resonator," Electron Lett., Vol. 12, 356-357, 1976.
15. Kim, K.-B., J.-H. Kim, S. S. Lee, and S. H. Noh, "Measurement of grain moisture content using microwave attenuation at 10.5 GHz and moisture density," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 51, No. 1, 72-77, 2002.
16. Zajıcek, R., T. Smejkal, L. Oppl, and J. Vrba, "Medical diagnostics using reflection method and waveguide probes - Feasibility study," PIERS Proceedings, 759-762, Hangzhou, China, Mar. 24–28, 2008.
17. Abbas, Z., R. Mokhtar, K. Khalid, M. Hashim, and S. A. Aziz, "RDWG technique of determination of moisture content in oil palm fruits," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 40, No. 2, 207-210, 2007.
18. Khalid, K., "The application of microstrip sensors for determination of moisture content in Hevea rubber latex," J. Microwave Power Electromagn Energy, Vol. 23, No. 1, 45-51, 1988.
19. Ghretli, M. M., K. Khalid, I. V. Grozescu, M. H. Sahri, and Z. Abbas, "Dual frequency microwave moisture sensor based on circular microstrip antenna," IEEE Sen. J., Vol. 7, 1749-1756, 2007.
20. Gadani, D., V. Rana, S. Bhatnagar, A. Prajapati, and A. Vyas, "Effect of salinity on the dielectric properties of water," Indian J. Pure. Appl. Phys., Vol. 50, 405-410, 2012.
21. Deffendol, C. and C. Furse, "Microstrip antennas for dielectric property measurement," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1954-1956, IEEE, Orlando, FL, 1999.
22. Jilani, M. T., W. P. Wen, M. A. Zakaniya, L. Y. Cheong, and M. Z. U. Rehman, "An improved design of microwave biosensor for measurement of tissue moisture," IEEE, 2014.
23. Joshi, K. K., M. Abegaonkar, R. N. Karekar, and R. C. Aiyer, "Microstrip ring resonator as a moisture sensor for wheat grains," IEEE, 1679-1682, 1997.
24. Solanki, L. S., S. Singh, and N. Garg, "Determination of soil suitability for agriculture farming using microwave analysis," IEEE, 421-426, 2017.
25. Kim, K. B., J. H. Kim, S. S. Lee, and S. H. Noh, "Measurement of grain moisture content using microwave attenuation at 10.5 GHz and moisture density," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 51, 72-77, 2002, DOI: 10.1109/19.989904.
26. Mun, H. K., K. Y. You, and M. N. Dimon, "Rice grain moisture determination using microstrip wide ring & microstrip coupled line sensors," AJAP, 112-120, 2015.