This work proposes new filter design techniques to improve the out of band spurious performance of integrated ceramic waveguide filters and ceramic loaded filters. Various resonators of different types like non-uniform width, TEM and half ridge were used. The proposed filter designs offer a considerable miniaturization and significantly improved spurious performance up to 85% without compromising the figure of merits of the filters like Q-factor, return loss, etc. Two sixth order filters with best in-band and out-band performance have been fabricated. Measured results of the fabricated filters are in good agreement with the computer simulations, which confirm the validity and accuracy of designs.
1. Chi, W., K. A. Zaki, A. E. Atia, and T. G. Dolan, "Dielectric combline resonators and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, 2501-2506, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.739240
2. Walker, V. and I. C. Hunter, "Design of cross-coupled dielectric-loaded waveguide filters," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, 91-96, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010332
3. Cohn, S. B., "Microwave bandpass filters containing high-Q dielectric resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 16, No. 4, 218-227, April 1968. doi: 10.1109/TMTT.1968.1126654. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1968.1126654
4. Nishikawa, T., "Microwave ceramic dielectrics and their applications," 1988 18th European Microwave Conference, 70-80, 1988. doi:10.1109/EUMA.1988.333799
5. Salehi, A., R. K. Reddy, T. Lukkarila, and S. Amir, "Spurious suppression of dielectric filters in practical wireless systems," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1087-1090, 2008. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2008.4633245
6. Sandhu, M. Y. and I. C. Hunter, "Miniaturized dielectric waveguide filters," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 103, 1776-1787, Oct. 2, 2016.
7. Hunter, I. C. and M. Y. Sandhu, "Monolithic integrated ceramic waveguide filters," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS 2014), 1-3, 2014.
8. Riblet, H. J., "Waveguide filter having nonidentical sections resonant at same fundamental frequency and different harmonic frequencies,", 1964.
9. Morelli, M., I. Hunter, R. Parry, and V. Postoyalko, "Stop-band improvement of rectangular waveguide filters using different width resonators: selection of resonator widths," 2001 IEEE MTTS International Microwave Sympsoium Digest (Cat. No.01CH37157), Vol. 3, 1623-1626, 2001. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2001.967215
10. Rezaiesarlak, R., P. Loghmannia, and M. Salehi, "Miniaturized waveguide filter with improved stop-band response," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 512-515, Feb. 1, 2014.
11. Morelli, M., I. Hunter, R. Parry, and V. Postoyalko, "Stopband performance improvement of rectangular waveguide filters using stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 1657-1664, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.800381
12. Borowiec, R., "Dielectric resonator filters," 2014 20th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), 1-4, 2014.
13. Chi, W., K. A. Zaki, A. E. Atia, and T. Dolan, "Conductor loaded resonator filters with wide spurious free stop band," 1997 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1079-1082, 1997.
14. Weily, A. R. and A. S. Mohan, "Mixed combline and He/sub 11/mode dielectric resonator filter with improved spurious performance," Proceedings of 1997 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 2, 805-808, 1997. doi:10.1109/APMC.1997.654664
15. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House Books, 1980.
16. Afridi, S., M. Sandhu, N. Somjit, and I. Hunter, "Monolithic ceramic waveguide filter with wide spurious free bandwidth," 2016 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 241-244, 2016. doi:10.1109/EuMC.2016.7824323
17. Sebastian, M. T., Dielectric Materials for Wireless Communication, Elsevier Science, 2010.
18. Hunter, I. and I. O. E. Engineers, Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2001. doi:10.1049/PBEW048E
19. Afridi, S., M. Sandhu, and I. Hunter, "Mixed non-uniform width/evanescent mode ceramic resonator waveguide filter with wide spurious free bandwidth," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-3, 2016.
20. Hunter, I., S. Afridi, and M. Sandhu, "Integrated ceramic waveguide filters with improved spurious performance," 2015 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 674-677, 2015. doi:10.1109/EuMC.2015.7345853
21. Afridi, S., I. Hunter, and M. Y. Sandhu, "Spurious Free Non Uniform Width Dielectric Loaded Filters," 2018 48th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 85-88, 2018. doi:10.23919/EuMC.2018.8541792