Deceptive jamming plays an irreplaceable role in electronic counter measures (ECM) due to its flexibility and high power efficiency. Based on digital channelized receiver, this paper proposes a novel deceptive jamming method for linear frequency modulation (LFM) radar, side lobe jamming, which builds decoy group utilizing filter side lobes. Via adjusting the filter structure properly, this method produces false targets at specific positions. Unlike intermittent sampling repeater jamming (ISRJ) which forms a train of symmetric decoys, side-lobe jamming can generate asymmetric false targets, which is more deceptive. On the other hand, it can produce much more false targets than ISRJ, which has a certain suppressive effect on the radar. The experimental results with simulated data verify the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
1. Michael, R. F. and R. Michael, Electronic Warfare for the Digitized Battlefield, Artech House, London, UK, 2001, ISBN: 978-1580532716.
2. Wu, X. F., D. H. Dai, X. S. Wang, and H. Z. Lu, "Review of synthetic aperture radar electronic countermeasures," Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 424-435, 2010, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1003-0530.2010.03.017.
3. Zhou, F., M. D. Xing, X. R. Bai, G. C. Sun, and Z. Bao, "Narrow-band interference suppression for SAR based on complex empirical mode decomposition," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 6, 423-427, 2009, doi: 10.1109/LGRS.2009.2015340. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2015340
4. Xu, S. K., "Research on SAR deception jamming methods,", National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China, 2012.
5. Wang, R. J., B. Sun, X. Wang, and S. Y. Cheng, "Transmitting pulse encoding for beyond-PRT retransmitting deception jamming detection in spaceborne synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 5, 1666, 2018, doi: 10.3390/s18051666. doi:10.3390/s18051666
6. Liu, Z., J. P. Sui, Z. H. Wei, and X. Li, "A sparse-driven anti-velocity deception jamming strategy based on pulse-doppler radar with random pulse initial phases," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1249, 2018, doi: 10.3390/s18041249. doi:10.3390/s18041249
7. Wang, R. J., J. Chen, X. Wang, and B. Sun, "High-performance anti-retransmission deception jamming utilizing range direction multiple input and multiple output (MIMO) synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 1, 123, 2017, doi: 10.3390/s17010123. doi:10.3390/s17010123
8. Berger, S., "Digital radio frequency memory linear range gate stealer spectrum," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, No. 2, 725-735, 2003, doi: 10.1109/TAES.2003.1207279. doi:10.1109/TAES.2003.1207279
9. Adler, E. and E. Viverios, "Direct digital synthesis application for radar development," IEEE Int. Radar Conf., Washington, DC, May 1995.
10. Lou, C. Y., J. L. Xu, and X. N. Yang, Software-defined Radio: Principles and Practice, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, China, 2014, ISBN: 9787121236785.
11. Wang, X. S., et al., "Mathematic principles of interrupted-sampling repeater jamming (ISRJ)," Science in China. Series F: Information Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 1, 113-123, 2007, doi: 10.1007/s11432-007-2017-y. doi:10.1007/s11432-007-2017-y
12. Feng, D. J., L. T. Xu, X. Y. Pan, and X. S. Wang, "Jamming wideband radar using interrupted-sampling repeater," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1341-1354, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TAES.2017.2670958. doi:10.1109/TAES.2017.2670958
13. Scafd, G., "Techniques employed in ESM receiving systems for signal detection, frequency measurement and direction finding in the 1 GHz to 20 GHz frequency range," 4th European Microwave Conference, Montreux, Switzerland, September 1974.
14. Hofmann, C. B. and A. R. Baron, "Wideband ESM receiving systems. II," Microwave Journal, Vol. 24, 57-61, 1981.
15. Allen, D. E., "Channelised receiver - A viable solution for EW and ESM systems," Communications, Radar and Signal Processing, IEE Proceedings F, Vol. 129, No. 3, 172-179, 1982, doi: 10.1049/ip-f-1:19820026. doi:10.1049/ip-f-1.1982.0026
16. Chen, X., et al., "Robust waveform and filter bank design of polarimetric radar," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 53, No. 1, 370-384, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TAES.2017.2650619. doi:10.1109/TAES.2017.2650619
17. Wang, H., Y. Lu, and X. Wang, "Channelized receiver with WOLA filterbank," 2006 CIE International Conference on Radar, Shanghai, China, October 2006.
18. James, T., Digital Techniques for Wideband Receivers, Artech House, Norwood, USA, 1995, ISBN: 9780890068083.
19. Zhu, X., "A new wideband digital receiver and parameter estimation of pulse compression radar signals,", Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, China, 2008.
20. Daniel, R. Z., L. S. David, and W. F. Timothy, "A hardware-efficient multirate, digital channelized receiver architecture," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, 137-147, 1998, doi: 10.1109/7.640270. doi:10.1109/7.640270
21. Gong, S. X., "Research of active jamming technology and ECCM for wideband LFM radar,", National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China, 2015.
22. Wu, C. Z. and K. L. Teo, "Design of discrete Fourier transform modulated filter bank with sharp transition band," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 5, No. 4, 433-440, 2011, doi: 10.1049/ietspr.2009.0269. doi:10.1049/iet-spr.2009.0269
23. Eghbali, A., H. Johansson, and P. Lowenborg, "Reconfigurable nonuniform transmulti-plexers using uniform modulated filter banks," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I - Regular Papers, Vol. 58, No. 3, 539-547, 2011, doi: 10.1109/TCSI.2010.2072290. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2010.2072290