A practical coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with reconfigurable dual band-notched characteristics is proposed in this paper. A cup-shaped branch is added to the grounding plate and a step impedance resonator (SIR) added to the microstrip line, which realize notch characteristics in 5.1~5.9 GHz and 7~7.8 GHz bands and realize double notch function with good radiation direction characteristics. The antenna bandwidth is extended by using CPW feeding, ranging from 3 GHz to 16 GHz with the relative bandwidth of 137%. The notch band reconfigurability is realized by integrating three switches into the cup-shaped branch and SIR. In addition, the proposed antenna has a compact size of 24 mm × 32 mm × 1.5 mm and can provide omnidirectional radiation pattern, which is suitable for UWB communication applications.
2. Koziel, S. and A. Bekasiewicz, "Fast simulation-driven design optimization of UWB band-notch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 926-929, 2016.
3. Tu, Z. H., W. A. Li, and Q. X. Chu, "Single-layer differential CPW-fed notch-band tapered-slot UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1296-1299, 2014.
4. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Novel design of dual band-notched monopole antenna with bandwidth enhancement for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 698-701, 2013.
5. Siddiqui, J. Y., et al., "Ultra-wideband antipodal tapered slot antenna with integrated frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1534-1539, 2018.
6. Shaik, L. A., et al., "An antenna advance for cognitive radio: Introducing a multilayered split ring resonator-loaded printed ultrawideband antenna with multifunctional characteristics," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 1, 20-33, 2018.
7. Khattak, M. K. and S. Kahng, "Design of a UHF wide-band antenna with a compact notch filter," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1625-1632, 2016.
8. Shaik, L., et al., "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1204-1211, 2016.
9. Li, T., et al., "Design of compact UWB band-notched antenna by means of electromagnetic-bandgap structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 608-609, 2012.
10. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Srivastava, and E. Thakur, "Triple band notched DG-CEBG structure based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 21-37, 2018.
11. Wu, A.-T. and B.-R. Guan, "Design and research of a compact CPW-fed UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristic," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. 32, 15-19, 2016.
12. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 4015-4020, 2014.
13. Fei, P. and Y.-C. Jiao, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on embedded SRR and 7-shaped resonator," 2010 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, Nanjing, China, 2010.
14. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 59, 1074-1081, 2011.
15. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Reconfigurable band-rejection antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, 195-202, 2018.
16. Ben Trad, I., J.-M. Floch, H. Rmili, L. Laadhar, and M. Drissi, "Planar elliptic broadband antenna with wide range reconfigurable narrow notched bands for multi-standard wireless communication devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 69-80, 2014.
17. Lin, C. C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, 2012.