A novel, simple and inexpensive microstrip antenna is designed for vehicle communication and specifically for blind spot detection in this work. The proposed antenna is 20.2 mm x 24.1 mm x 1.6 mm in size. Since offset feeding technique is used, manufacturing is simple and cheap. ANSYS Electromagnetics Suite 17.2 simulates the antenna. To suppress mutual coupling, defected ground structure is employed. In addition, the Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the ground plane width to obtain high gain and omnidirectional characteristics. The simulated results conceive that the `Dedicated Short Range Communication' (DSRC) band band is covered by using the antenna. Moreover, the antenna is fabricated, and the measured results are found to be consistent with the simulated ones.
2. Mondal, T., S. Maity, and R. Ghatak, "Compact circularly polarized wide-beam width fern-fractal-shaped microstrip antenna for vehicular communication," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 6, 5126-5134, June 2018.
3. Madhav, B. T. P., T. Anilkumar, and S. K. Kotamraju, "Transparent and conformal wheel shaped fractal antenna for vehicular communication applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 91, 1-10, Elsevier Publications, August 2016.
4. Hao, H., J. Li, D. Huang, and W. Luo, "Design of hexagon micro strip antenna for vehicle-to-vehicle communication," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 69-76, August 2016.
5. Liu, A., Y. Lu, and L. Huang, "Low-profile patch antennas with enhanced horizontal omni-directional gain for DSRC applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 2, 246-253, 2018.
6. Rafi, Gh. Z., M. Mohajer, A. Malarky, P. Mousavi, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Low-profile integrated microstrip antenna for GPS-DSRC application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 44-48, 2009.
7. Lamsalli, M., A. El Hamichi, M. Boussouis, N. A. Touhami, and T.-E. Elhamadi, "Genetic algorithm optimization for microstrip patch antenna miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 113-120, 2016.
8. Nema, A., D. K. Raghuvanshi, and P. Raghuvanshi, "Loss reduction in micro strip antenna using different methods," International Journal of Latest Technology in Engineering, Management & Applied Science (IJLTEMAS), Vol. IV, No. IX, 56-60, September 2015.
9. Rahanandeh, M., A. S. Noor Amin, M. Hosseinzadeh, P. Rezai, and M. Sadegh, "A compact elliptical slot antenna for covering Bluetooth/WiMAX WLAN/ITu," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 857-860, 2012.
10. Chaudhari, A. R., "Effect of wide slots on bandwidth & gain of broadband micro strip antenna," International Journal of Engineering Technology Science and Research IJETSR, Vol. 4, No. 4, 395-399, April 2017.
11. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, July 2006.
12. Naik, D. A., P. K. Padiyar, V. N. Virnodkar, and Y. Muttu, "Design and analysis of micro strip patch antenna and comparison between arrays," International Journal for Innovative Research in Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 12, 119-124, May 2017.
13. Nguyen, M. T., B. Kim, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Effect of ground plane size on a square micro strip patch antenna designed on a low permittivity substrate with an air gap," 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), IEEE, Lisbon, Portugal, March 1–3, 2010.
14. Chen, H.-M., Y.-F. Lin, C.-H. Chen, C.-Y. Pan, and Y.-S. Cai, "Miniature folded patch GPS antenna for vehicle communication devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1891-1898, May 2015.
15. Cseh, C., "Architecture of the Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) protocol," Proc. 48th IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., Vol. 3, 2095-2099, Ottawa, ON, Canada, May 21, 1998.
16. Koch, N., "New advances in vehicular technology and automotive engineering," Antennas for Automobiles, Joao Carmo (eds.), 191–206, Altran GmbH & Co. KG, Germany, 2012.
17. Kaul, S., K. Ramachandran, P. Shankar, S. Oh, M. Gruteser, I. Seskar, and T. Nadeem, "Effect of antenna placement and diversity on vehicular network communications," 2007 4th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, IEEE, San Diego, CA, USA, June 18–21, 2007.