This paper presents the design of an X-band stepped lens-loaded flat reflector (STLR) using reflectarray unit cell approach. A flat reflector of size 15×15 cm2, loaded with a 10×10 dielectric unit cell array, centre-fed by a horn antenna, is evaluated by simulation and measurement. The simulated performance of the proposed structure is compared with a smooth lens loaded plane reflector (SMLR) and microstrip reflectarray (RA), of equivalent cross section. The results are in good agreement for SMLR, whereas a fair match is observed only in the main lobes of RA. It is worth to note that the reported STLR has a reduced thickness compared to SMLR. Furthermore, a simulation-based study is carried out on the effect of tapering of the dielectric structure in the proposed design, and a similar performance to when stepping is used is noted.
2. Huang, M., S. Yang, W. Xiong, and Z. Nie, "Design and optimization of spherical lens antennas including practical feed models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 355-370, 2011.
3. Barry, D. G., R. Malech, and W. Kennedy, "The reflectarray antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, 645-651, November 1963.
4. Shafai, L., "Dielectric loaded antennas," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, April 2005.
5. Jain, S. and R. Mittra, Computational Electromagnetics: Chapter 15 - Field Transformation Approach to Designing Lenses, 539-552, Springer, New York, June 2013.
6. Kraus, J., "Some unique reflector-type antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Newsletter, Vol. 24, No. 2, 9-12, April 1982.
7. Zainud-Deen, S. H., N. Ahmed, H. A. El-Azem Malhat, S. Gaber, and K. H. Awadalla, "Dielectric resonator antenna reflectarrays mounted on or embedded in conformal surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 115-128, 2013.
8. Moeini-Fard, M. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Nonuniform reflect-array antennas," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 5, 1-6, August 2011.
9. Deng, R., L. Matekovits, F. Yang, P. Pirinoli, S. Xu, and M. Li, "Design of a flexible dielectric reflectarray antenna for THz applications," Proceedings of 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2015, Lisbon, Portugal, April 2015.
10. Ng, W.-H., E. H. Lim, F.-L. Lo, and K.-H. Tan, "Double-layered circular microstrip reflectarray element with broad phase range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 155-164, 2014.
11. Lingasamy, V., K. T. Selvan, and S. Rengarajan, "On the reflection phase characteristics of rectangular and circular patch reflectarray elements," Proceedings of Antennas and Propagation International Symposium (APSYM) 2016, CUSAT, Cochin, December 2016.
12. Bozzi, M., S. Germani, and L. Perregrini, "Performance comparison of different element shapes used in printed reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 219-222, August 2003.
13. Guha, D. and C. Kumar, "Microstrip patch versus dielectric resonator antenna bearing all commonly used feeds: An experimental study to choose right element," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 58, No. 1, 45-55, February 2016.
14. Fernandes, C. A., "Shaped dielectric lenses for wireless millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, 141-150, October 1999.
15. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, A. Liseno, and G. Toso, "Fast, phase-only synthesis of aperiodic reflectarrays using NUFFTs and CUDA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 156, 83-103, 2016.