A simple, compact, and capacitively coupled triple band planar inverted F antenna for wireless applications is presented in this paper. By arranging two metal patches in a stacked manner and using capacitively coupled feeding method three resonant modes are generated. The three operating bands 1.8 to 1.9 GHz, 2.5 to 2.6 GHz, and 3.3 to 3.4 GHz for GSM 1800, LTE 2500, and WiMax applications, respectively with -10 dB return loss bandwidths of 5.4%, 3.9%, and 2.98% around the resonances. The antenna occupies a size of 40 mm × 5 mm × 6 mm and is printed on an FR4 epoxy substrate of dielectric constant 4.3.
1. Koul, S. K. and B. Bhat, "Inverted microstrip and suspended mictostrip with anisotropic substrate," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 70, No. 10, 1230-1231, 1982. doi:10.1109/PROC.1982.12450
2. Schellenberg, J. M., "CAD models for suspended and inverted microstrip," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1247-1252, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.390179
3. Spielman, B. E., "Dissipation loss effects in isolated and coupled transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 25, 648-656, 1977. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1977.1129180
4. Kitazawa, T., et al., "Planar transmission lines with finitely thick conductors and lossy substrates," 1991 IEEE Inr. Microwave Sym. Dig., 769-772, 1991. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1991.147118
5. Al Ja'afreh, S., Y. Huang, and L. Xing, "Low profile and wideband planar inverted-F antenna with polarisation and pattern diversities," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 2, 152-161, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0337
6. Thao, H. T. P., V. T. Luan, and V. V. Yem, "Design of compact frequency reconfigurable planar invert-F antenna for green wireless communications," IET Communications, Vol. 10, No. 18, 2567-2574, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-com.2016.0267
7. Liu, N.-W., L. Zhu, and W.-W. Choi, "A low-profile wide-bandwidth planar inverted-F antenna under dual resonances: Principle and design approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5019-5025, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2736578
8. Gomez-Villanueva, R., R. Linares-y-Miranda, J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Ultra-wideband planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for mobile phone frequencies and ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 43, 109-120, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13071803
9. Halaoui, M. E., A. Kaabal, H. Asselman, S. Ahyoud, and A. Asselman, "Multiband planar inverted-F antenna with independent operating bands control for mobile handset applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, No. 8794039, 1-13, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/8794039
10. Huang, H.-F. and J.-F. Wu, "Small-size antenna for seven-band WWAN/LTE mobile handset," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1029-1033, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29007
11. Huang, H.-F. and J.-F. Wu, "Uniplanar coupled fed printed PIFA for WWAN/WLAN operation in the mobile phone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1250-1257, 2015.
12. Wong, K.-L., M.-F. Tu, T.-Y. Wu, and W.-Y. Li, "Small-size coupled-fed printed PIFA for internal eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS mobile phone antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2123-2128, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25387
13. Kasabegoudar, V. G., D. S. Upadhyay, and K. J. Vinoy, "Design studies of ultra wideband microstrip antennas with a small capacitive feed," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2007, 1-8, 2007. doi:10.1155/2007/67503
14. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
15. Hossain, M. I., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "A comparative study of electromagnetic absorption of PIFA and helical antenna in the human head," Theory and Applications of Applied Electromagnetics, Vol. 344, 167-174, 2015. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-17269-9_18
16. Hossain, M. I., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "A comparative study of the PIFA and printed monopole antenna EM absorption," Biomedizinische Technik, Vol. 62, 13-21, 2017.