A compact differential-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with single band-notched characteristicis proposed in this paper. The antenna consists of a ground plane etched with an octagonal groove and two symmetrical hexagonal radiating patches. Return loss and isolation of the antenna can be effectively reduced by loading a rectangular stub on the ground plane and etching a semi-circular groove on the radiation patch. In order to achieve a controllable single band-notched characteristic, two pairs of quarter-wavelength stubsare introduced into the grounding plane. The antenna has lower cross polarization and stable gains than conventional single feed antennas. The measured impedance bandwidth with S11 ≤ -10 dB is 114% from 3 GHz to 11 GHz, and the notch characteristic is realized in the 7.2-8.4 GHz band.
1. Federal Communications Commission, "First report and order in the matter of revision of part 15 of the the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems,", FCC02-48, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, USA, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2481437
2. Koziel, S. and S. A. Bekasiewicz, "Fast simulation-driven design optimization of UWB band-notch antennas," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 926-929, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2332355
4. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Reconfigurable band-rejection antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, 195-202, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2790176
5. Siddiqui, J. Y., et al., "Ultra-wideband antipodal tapered slot antenna with integrated frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, 1534-1539, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2018.2796027
6. Shaik, L. A., et al., "An antenna advance for cognitive radio: Introducing a multilayered split ring resonator-loaded printed ultrawideband antenna with multifunctional characteristics," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, 20-33, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2327124
7. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 4015-4020, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0063
8. Shaik, L. A., C. Saha, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "An UWB monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, 1204-1211, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2116150
9. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 170-173, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
10. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 59, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB12021607
11. Xu, F., Z.-X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL16070601
12. Xu, Y., H. Li, Y.-Z. Yin, and Z. Deng, "A compact differential-fed half-elliptic monopole antenna with triple band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 35-40, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC18011201
13. Jetti, C. R. and V. R. Nandanavanam, "A very compact MIMO antenna with triple band-notch function for portable UWB systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 13-27, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2592179
14. Liu, Y.-Y. and Z.-H. Tu, "Compact differential band-notched stepped-slot UWB-MIMO antenna with common-mode suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 593-596, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2374332
15. Huang, H. and Y. Liu, "Planar differentially driven ultrawideband polarization diversity antenna with band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 563-566, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167947
16. Lin, C.-C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched Ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using Capacitively Loaded Loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, 2012.
17. Naghar, A., et al., "Improvement of notch performances for UWB monopole antennas using CSRR and SSRR," International Conference on Multimedia Computing & Systems, IEEE, 2017.