A dual-band circularly polarized (CP) patch antenna with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth (ARBW) is presented for BeiDou Navigation System (BDS). Simple stacked circular patches are used as the main radiations for achieving dual-band operation. To enhance the ARBW for the two operation bands, an annular metal strip loaded ground plane (AMSL-GP) is presented. Besides, edge resistors are inserted to the GP for further ARBW enhancement at the lower band. In realization, a compact single-input feed network based on a coupled-line trans-directional (CL-TRD) coupler is designed to provide two orthogonal modes at the two frequency bands simultaneously. Experimental results show that the bandwidth for 10-dB return loss is from 1.15 GHz to 1.65 GHz, which covers BDS B1 (1.561 GHz) and B2 (1.207 GHz). The 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidths for the lower and upper bands are 9.6% and 7.1%, respectively. At 1.207 GHz, the antenna has 3-dB ARBWs of 185° and 187° in the xoz and yoz planes, respectively. And the values are 192° and 194° at 1.561 GHz.
2. Wang, S. Y., X. Zhang, L. Zhu, and W. Wu, "Single-fed wide-beamwidth circularly polarized patch antenna using dual-function 3-D printed substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 649-653, Apr. 2018.
3. Luo, Y., Q. X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A low-profile wide-beamwidth circularly-polarized antenna via two pairs of parallel dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 931-936, Mar. 2015.
4. Bai, X., J. Tang, X. Liang, J. Geng, and R. Jin, "Compact design of triple band circularly polarized quadrifilar helix antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 380-383, 2014.
5. Yang, Y.-H., J.-L. Guo, B.-H. Sun, and Y.-H. Huang, "Dual-band slot helix antenna for global positioning satellite applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 12, 5146-5152, Dec. 2016.
6. Choi, E. C., J. W. Lee, and T. K. Lee, "Modified S-band satellite antenna with isoflux pattern and circularly polarized wide beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1319-1322, 2013.
7. Tang, C. L., J. Y. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Beamwidth enhancement of a circularly polarized microstrip antenna mounted on a three-dimensional ground structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 2, 149-153, Jan. 2002.
8. Su, C. W., S. K. Huang, and C. H. Lee, "CP microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for GPS band application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 20, 1062-1063, Sep. 2007.
9. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "A cavity-backed spiral slot antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidth for GPS system," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1050-1054, May 2014.
10. Son, H. W., H. Park, K. H. Lee, G. J. Jin, and M. K. Oh, "UHF RFID reader antenna with a wide beamwidth and high return loss," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4928-4932, Oct. 2012.
11. Wang, M. S., X. Q. Zhu, Y. X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Compact circularly polarized patch antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 714-718, Apr. 2018.
12. Liu, N. W., L. Zhu, and W. W. Choi, "Low-profile wide-beamwidth circularly-polarised patch antenna on a suspended substrate," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 8, 885-890, May 2016.
13. Zhang, X., L. Zhu, and N. W. Liu, "Pin-loaded circularly-polarized patch antennas with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 521-528, Feb. 2017.
14. Zhang, X., L. Zhu, N. W. Liu, and D. P. Xie, "Pin-loaded circularly-polarized patch antenna with sharpened gain roll-off rate and widened 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 8, 1247-1254, 2018.
15. Sun, C., H. L. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized GNSS antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 20, 1559-1560, Oct. 2015.
16. Chen, K., J. D. Yuan, and X. Y. Luo, "Compact dual-band dual circularly polarized annular-ring patch antenna for BeiDou navigation satellite system application," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 8, 1079-1085, May 2017.
17. Zhang, Y. Q., X. Li, L. Yang, and S. X. Gong, "Dual-band circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 615-618, May 2013.
18. Liu, Q., Y. Li, Z. G. Mo, and Y. A. Liu, "Compact broadband circularly-polarised directional universal GNSS antenna with symmetric radiation pattern and stable near zenith coverage," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 5, 657-663, 2017.
19. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency dual circularly-polarised patch antenna with wide beamwidth," Electron. Lett, Vol. 44, No. 21, 1233-1234, Oct. 2008.
20. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Dual-band wide-beam crossed asymmetric dipole antenna for GPS applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 25, 1580-1581, Dec. 2012.
21. Sun, Y. X., K. W. Leung, and J. Ren, "Dual-band circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidths for upper hemispherical coverage," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 58132-58138, Oct. 2018.
22. Shie, C. I., J. C. Cheng, S. C. Chou, and Y. C. Chiang, "Trans-directional coupled-line couplers implemented by periodical shunt capacitors," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2981-2988, Dec. 2009.
23. Liu, H., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and T. Shao, "Coupled line trans-directional coupler with improved power distribution and phase performance," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Radio- Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 126-128, Seoul, 2017.
24. Rezazadeh, N. and L. Shafai, "Study of finite ground plane effects in circularly polarized circular microstrip antennas," 2016 17th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 2016, DOI: 10.1109/ANTEM.2016.7550228.