In this paper, a novel nested array is proposed for direction of arrival (DOA) estimation of noncircular signals. By using the noncircular property, the resulting virtual array is composed of difference coarray (DCA) and sum coarray (SCA). Specifically, we first give the properties of DCA and SCA for generalized translational nested array. Then, based on the relationship between DCA and SCA, an optimal translational nested array with increased degrees of freedom (DOFs) is constructed. To extend the physical array aperture, we move part of sensors in the translational nested array to the mirrored locations. Accordingly, the novel nested array with increased DOFs and physical array aperture is obtained. Finally, superiority of the proposed array is demonstrated by simulation experiments.
"A Novel Nested Array Design for Direction of Arrival Estimation of Noncircular Signals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 87, 83-92, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19100403
1. Pal, P. and P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2049264
2. Pal, P. and P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays in two dimensions, Part I: Geometrical considerations," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4694-4705, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2012.2203814
3. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Coprime sampling and the MUSIC algorithm," Proc. 14th IEEE DSP/SPE Workshop, 289-294, Sedona, AZ, USA, Jan. 2011.
4. Zhou, C., Y. Gu, X. Fan, Z. Shi, G. Mao, and Y. D. Zhang, "Direction-of-arrival estimation for coprime array via virtual array interpolation," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 66, No. 22, 5956-5971, Nov. 2018. doi:10.1109/TSP.2018.2872012
5. Liu, S., Q. Liu, J. Zhao, and Z. Yuan, "Triple two-level nested array with improved degrees of freedom," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-151, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERB19031603
6. Moffet, A., "Minimum-redundancy linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 16, No. 2, 172-175, Mar. 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139138
7. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2089682
8. Qin, S., Y. D. Zhang, and M. G. Amin, "Generalized coprime array configurations for direction-ofarrival estimation," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 63, No. 6, 1377-1390, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TSP.2015.2393838
9. Shi, J., G. Hu, X. Zhang, and H. Zhou, "Generalized nested array: Optimization for degrees of freedom and mutual coupling," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 1208-1211, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2018.2821672
10. Zheng, Z., W.-Q. Wang, Y. Kong, and Y. D. Zhang, "MISC array: A new sparse array design achieving increased degrees of freedom and reduced mutual coupling effect," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 67, No. 7, 1728-1741, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1109/TSP.2019.2897954
11. Charge, P., Y. Wang, and J. Saillard, "A non-circular sources direction finding method using polynomial rooting," Signal Process., Vol. 81, No. 8, 1765-1770, Jul. 2001. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(01)00071-8
12. Zoubir, A., P. Charge, and Y. Wang, "Non circular sources localization with ESPRIT," Proc. European Conference on Wireless Technology (ECWT), Munich, Germany, Oct. 2003.
13. Abeida, H. and J.-P. Delmas, "MUSIC-like estimation of direction of arrival for noncircular sources," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2678-2690, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.873505
14. Zhai, H., X. Zhang, W. Zheng, and P. Gong, "“DOA estimation of noncircular signals for unfolded coprime linear array: Identifiability, DOF and algorithm (May 2018)," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 29382-29390, May 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2835563
15. Iwazaki, S. and K. Ichige, "Underdetermined direction of arrival estimation by sum and difference composite co-array," 2018 25th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), 669-672, Bordeaux, France, Dec. 2018.
16. Cai, J., W. Liu, R. Zong, and B. Wu, "Sparse array extension for non-circular signals with subspace and compressive sensing based DOA estimation methods," Signal Process., Vol. 145, 59-67, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2017.11.012
17. Chen, Z., Y. Ding, S. Ren, and Z. Chen, "A novel noncircular MUSIC algorithm based on the concept of the difference and sum coarray," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 2, 344-360, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18020344
18. Cai, J., B. Wu, P. Li, and W. Liu, "A sparse representation based DOA estimation algorithm for a mixture of circular and noncircular signals using sparse arrays," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Commun., 1-5, Paris, France, May 2017.
19. Gupta, P. and M. Agrawal, "Design and analysis of the sparse array for DOA estimation of noncircular signals," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 67, No. 2, 460-473, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1109/TSP.2018.2883035
20. Zhang, Y.-K., H.-Y. Xu, D.-M. Wang, B. Ba, and S.-Y. Li, "A novel designed sparse array for noncircular sources with high degree of freedom," Math. Problems Eng., Vol. 2019, Art. No. 1264715, 2019.
21. Si, W., Z. Peng, C. Hou, and F. Zeng, "Improved nested arrays with sum-difference coarray for DOA estimation," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 19, No. 16, 6986-6997, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2019.2912322