In this article, a design of two low-profile multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna arrays based on left-handed metamaterial (LHM) structures is proposed for multiband wireless applications. The single-element antenna is a monopole antenna fed by a microstrip transmission-line loaded with a single LHM unit cell. The LHM unit cell structure consists of a right-angled bend interdigital capacitor and dual symmetrical right-angled bend shorted stub inductors. The loaded monopole antenna was previously designed to operate in the left-handed (LH) frequency region at three negative-order resconance modes (i.e. 1.39, 1.88, and 2.35 GHz). Herein, to increase the designed antenna performance in wireless communication systems, two- and four-element MIMO antenna arrays having compact sizes with overall dimensions of 21 × 35 mm2 and 35 × 35 mm2, respectively, are realized. A close uniform edge-to-edge separation between antenna elements of each configuration equals only 2 mm (0.0093λ0 at 1.39 GHz), and port isolation less than -18 dB over the entire operating bands is obtained without using extra isolation structures. Envelope correlation coefficient is evaluated, showing good field isolation. The performance of the assembled MIMO antenna arrays is verified numerically and experimentally. The given attributes make the proposed antenna arrays a suitable candidate for multiband MIMO applications.
2. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 59, 162-170, 2017.
3. Nadeem, I. and D. O. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 563-586, 2019.
4. Bilal, M., et al., "An FSS-based nonplanar quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 987-990, 2017.
5. Mao, C.-X. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact coradiator UWB-MIMO antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4474-4480, 2014.
6. Chen, S.-C., Y.-S.Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, 2008.
7. Xia, R., S. Qu, Q. Jiang, P. Li, and Z. Nie, "An efficient decoupling feeding network for two-element microstrip antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 871-874, 2015.
8. Ou, Y., X. Cai, and K. Qian, "Two-element compact antennas decoupled with a simple neutralization line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 63-68, 2017.
9. Jiang, T., T. Jiao, and Y. Li, "Array mutual coupling reduction using L-loading E-shaped electromagnetic band gap structures," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2016, 1-9, 2016.
10. Chen, Y. S. and C. P. Chang, "Design of a four-element multiple-input multiple-output antenna for compact long-term evolution small-cell base stations," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 4, 385-392, 2016.
11. Saad, A. A. R., "Approach for improving inter-element isolation of orthogonally polarised MIMO slot antenna over ultra-wide bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 18, 1062-1064, 2018.
12. Saad, A. A. R. and H. A. Mohamed, "Conceptual design of a compact four-element UWB MIMO slot antenna array," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 2, 208-215, 2019.
13. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A simple approach for reducing mutual coupling in two closely spaced metamaterial-inspired monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 9, 379-382, 2010.
14. Kiem, N. K., H. N. B. Phuong, Q. N. Hieu, and D. N. Chien, "A novel metamaterial MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2015, 1-9, 2015.
15. Kahng, S., J. Jeon, J. Anguera, and T. Park, "A compact MIMO antenna using CRLH configuration double-layered folded ring radiators with planar mushroom decoupling structure," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 57, No. 2, 123-130, 2015.
16. Ibrahim, A. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "CRLH MIMO antenna with reversal configuration," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 9, 1134-1141, 2016.
17. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "CRLH unit cell loaded tri-band compact MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 16, 1816-1819, 2017.
18. Alqadami, A. S., et al., "Left-handed compact MIMO antenna array based on wire spiral resonator for 5GHz wireless applications," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 64, 123-127, 2017.
19. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, NJ, 2006.
20. Ibrahim, A. A., A. M. E. Safwat, and H. El-Hennawy, "Triple-band microstrip-fed monopole antenna loaded with CRLH unit cell," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1574-1550, 2011.
21. Zheng, L., X, L. Quan, H. J. Liu, and R. L. Li, "Broadband planar antenna based on CRLH structure for DVB-H and GSM-900 applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 43, 1443-1145, 2012.
22. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 62, 1143-1147, 2012.
23. Li, H. P., G. M. Wang, X. J. Gao, and X. F. Zhang, "Multiband antenna based on loading a CPW-fed monopole with one CRLH-TL unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 47-53, 2014.
24. Amani, N., et al., "Compact tri-band metamaterial-inspired antenna based on CRLH resonant structures," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 12, 847-848, 2014.
25. Chen, L. and Y. L. Luo, "Compact filtering antenna using CRLH resonator and defected ground structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 21, 1496-1498, 2014.
26. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact zeroth-order resonating wideband antenna with dual-band characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1670-1673, 2015.
27. Abdalla, M. A. and A. A. Ibrahim, "Multi-band meta-material antenna with asymmetric coplanar strip-fed structure," IEEE APS/USNC/URSI Int. Symp., 631-632, Vancouver, BC, July 2015.
28. Wu, P. C., L. Chen, and Y. L. Luo, "Miniaturised wideband filtering antenna by employing CRLHTL and simplified feeding structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 7, 548-550, 2015.
29. Li, H., Q. Zheng, J. Ding, and C. Guo, "Dual-band planar antenna loaded with CRLH unit cell for WLAN/WiMAX application," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 1, 132-136, 2018.
30. Lee, C. J., W. Huang, A. Gummalla, and M. Achour, "Small antennas based on CRLH structures: concept, design, and applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 2, 10-25, 2011.
31. Chu, H. B. and H. Shirai, "A compact metamaterial quad-band antenna based on asymmetric E-CRLH unit cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 171-179, 2018.
32. Saad, A. A. R., "Approach for miniaturisation of planar antenna based on CRLH structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 18, 977-978, 2019.
33. Vaughan, R. G., "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987.