The proposed antenna structure is excited for multiple operational modes by means of meandered strips. The compact planar monopole antenna is demanded enormously for handheld devices especially automatic meter reading and tablet devices. Due to Chu limit, it is extremely vital to miniaturize an antenna by balancing tradeoff between bandwidth and radiation efficiency. The designed antenna is formed by two interconnected broad monopole open slots which covers multi-bands for smart energy meter and tablet computer applications. The cost effective FR4 laminate of size 50 x 200 mm2 (0.4λ x 1.6λ) is employed to match standard tablet computer communication module dimensions. The impedance bandwidth, for all excited resonant modes, is above typical requirement of 2%, and the VSWR is well below the necessary requirement of 1.5. The peak gain ranges from 0.94 dBi to 1.92 dBi. Radiation patterns along with other antenna parameters are satisfactorily meeting the demand of Wireless Energy Meter and Tablet Devices. The effects of varying dimensions of a monopole on the radiation characteristics have also been presented. The return loss and radiation patterns computed through simulations are validated through experimental measurements in an anechoic chamber environment.
2., "Smart metering implementation programme,", 2018 Progress Report, Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, Government of UK, 2018.
3. Lu, J. H. and Y. S. Wang, "Planar small-size eight-band LTE/WWAN monopole antenna for tablet computers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 4372-4377, 2014.
4. Upadhyaya, T. K., A. Desai, and R. H. Patel, "Design of printed monopole antenna for wireless energy meter and smart applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 77, 27-33, 2018.
5. Ban, Y. L., S. C. Sun, J. W. Li, and W. Hu, "Compact coupled-fed wideband antenna for internal eight-band LTE/WWAN tablet computer applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17–18, 2222-2233, 2012.
6. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Lee, "Multiband printed monopole slot antenna for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 324-330, 2009.
7. Chiu, C.-W., C.-H. Chang, and Y.-J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
8. Naser-Moghadasi, M., Z. Mansouri, S. Sharma, F. B. Zarrabi, and B. S. Virdee, "Low SAR PIFA antenna for wideband applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 62, No. 5, 564-570, 2016.
9. Patel, R. and T. Upadhyaya, "An electrically small antenna for nearfield biomedical applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 556-561, 2018.
10. Ntaikos, D. K., N. K. Bourgis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Metamaterial-based electrically small multiband planar monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 963-966, 2011.
11. Saadh, A. W. M. and T. Ali, "A compact coaxial fed metamaterial antenna for wireless applications," Journal of Instrumentation, Vol. 14, No. 6, P06025, 2019.
12. Upadhyaya, T. K., V. V. Dwivedi, S. P. Kosta, and Y. P. Kosta, "Miniaturization of tri band patch antenna using metamaterials," Fourth IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, 45-48, 2012.
13. Chen, Z., Y.-L. Ban, S.-C. Sun, and J. L.-W. Li, "Printed antenna for penta-band WWAN tablet computer application using embedded parallel resonant structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 725-737, 2013.
14. Elshennawy, W. S., E. A. Hashish, and A. M. Attiya, "Multiband LTE-A/WWAN antenna for a tablet," Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 19, 2015.
15. Ban, Y.-L., J.-H. Chen, J. L.-W. Li, and W. Hu, "Printed multi-resonance antenna embedding two inductors in radiating strips for internal mobile phone LTE/WWAN operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17–18, 2211-2221, 2012.
16. Nie, L. Y., X. Q. Lin, B. Wang, and J. Zhang, "A planar multifunctional four-port antenna system for sub-urban mobile tablet," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 56986-56993, 2019.
17. Subbaraj, S., M. Kanagasabai, G. N. A. Mohammed, Y. Panneer Selvam, S. Kingsly, and R. R. Yeragudipati Venkata, "Miniaturized quad-band coplanar-fed monopole antenna for tablet computers," COMPEL — The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 3, 1118-1130, 2018.
18. Subbaraj, S., M. Kanagasabai, M. G. N. Alsath, G. Ganesan, Y. Panneer Selvam, and S. Kingsly, "Compact multiservice monopole antenna for tablet devices," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 105, No. 8, 1374-1387, 2018.
19. Huang, J. W., T. C. Chu, Y. S. Zhan, B. L. Ke, and H. L. Su, "A uniplanar monopole antenna for LTE/UMTS/WLAN in tablet computer applications," 2018 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-2, IEEE, October 2018.
20. Ke, J. F., M. Chou, Z. C. Zhang, and W. J. Liao, "A dual-band WLAN antenna design for placement in hinges of convertible notebooks," 2019 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 1-2, IEEE, July 2019.
21. Chen, C. H., Y. C. Jiao, and Z. B. Weng, "Low profile octa-band antenna without lumped elements for WWAN/LTE metallic narrow-frame tablet computers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 3, 665-670, 2019.
22. Su, S.-W., "Very-low-profile, small-sized, printed monopole antenna for WLAN notebook computer applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 51-57, 2019.
23. Chen, S. C., C. C. Huang, and M. C. Hsu, "Reconfigurable long-term evolution/wireless wide area network antennas integrated with the metal frame of tablet computers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 15, 1609-1623, 2017.
24. Lu, J. H. and Y. M. Yan, "Planar LTE/WWAN monopole antenna for 4G tablet computer," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1142-1143, IEEE, July 2015.