The combination of low peak sidelobe level (PSLL) with wide sector nulling digital beamforming (DBF) is achieved for large planar array antennas. This combination is carried out using the iterative Fourier transform (IFT) method. The method is based on the iterative Fourier technique to derive element excitations from the prescribed array factor using successive forward and backward Fourier transforms. A 1024-element rectangular uniformly spaced array is used as an example to demonstrate the performance of the proposed method. Numerical examples show that the proposed method achieves very low PSLL with very wide nulling sectors up to the half plane of the far-field pattern. Moreover, numerical results show that the proposed method is effectively functional even when the mainbeam is steered to directions other than the broadside.
1. Larsson, E. G., O. Edfors, F. Tufvesson, and T. L. Marzetta, "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 186-195, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736761
2. Vollbracht, D., "System specification for dual polarized low power X-band weather radars using phased array technology," Proc. Int. Radar Conf., 1-6, Lille, France, Oct. 2014.
3. Sallam, T. and A. M. Attiya, "Different array synthesis techniques for planar antenna array," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 716-723, 2019.
4. Bregman, J. D., "Concept design for a low-frequency array," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4015, 19-33, Jul. 2000.
5. Xiao, X. and Y. L. Lu, "3D pattern optimization using PSO for an irregular dual-layer circular array," Proc. 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Boston, Massachusetts, Jul. 2018.
6. Ma, X., L. Lu, W. Sheng, Y. Han, and R. Zhang, "Adaptive interference nulling with pattern maintaining under mainlobe subspace and quadratic constraints," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 1, 40-48, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0543
7. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2674-2679, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851762
8. Van Luyen, T. and T. V. B. Giang, "Interference suppression of ULA antennas by phase-only control using bat algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 3038-3042, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2759318
9. Oraizi, H. and M. Fallahpour, "Nonuniformly spaced linear array design for the specified beamwidth/sidelobe level or specified directivity/sidelobe level with mutual coupling consideration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 4, 185-209, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08072302
10. Oraizi, H. and M. Fallahpour, "Sum, difference and shaped beam pattern synthesis by non-uniform spacing and phase control," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4505-4511, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165468
11. Oraizi, H. and M. Fallahpour, "Array pattern synthesis with mutual coupling consideration," 2008 International Symposium on Telecommunications, 77-82, Tehran, 2008. doi:10.1109/ISTEL.2008.4651275
12. Fuchs, B., "Synthesis of sparse arrays with focused or shaped beam-pattern via sequential convex optimizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 7, 3499-3503, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2196951
13. Nafea, S. N., A. Ismail, and R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, "Low side lobe level multilayer antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 105-111, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15112202
14. Nafea, S. N., "Improving performance of patch antenna for IEEE 802.16e applications using multi-layer antenna structure with reflector," 2018 Al-Mansour International Conference on New Trends in Computing, Communication, and Information Technology (NTCCIT), 18-22, Baghdad, Iraq, 2018.
15. Van Luyen, T. and T. Vu Bang Giang, "BAT algorithm based beamformer for interference suppression by controlling the complex weight," REV Journal on Electronics and Communications, Mar. 2018.
16. Lu, Y. L. and B. K. Yeo, "Adaptive wide null steering for digital beamforming array with the complex coded genetic algorithm," Proceedings 2000 IEEE International Conference on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 557-560, Dana Point, CA, 2000.
17. Wang, Y. and Y. L. Lu, "The combination of neural networks and genetic algorithm for fast and flexible wide nulling in digital beamforming," Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, 782-786, Singapore, 2002.
18. Xiao, X. and Y. L. Lu, "Data-based model for wide nulling problem in adaptive digital beamforming antenna array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 11, 2249-2253, Nov. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2925419
19. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Planar phased-array antennas: Mutual coupling and ultra low peak sidelobes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 61, No. 1, 14-28, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/MAP.2018.2883024
20. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "APAS: An advanced phased-array simulator," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 40-56, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5525565