This paper presents a compact single feed circularly polarized (CP) antenna along with a frequency selective surface (FSS) that acts as a partially reflective surface over the patch. Patch is loaded with four diagonally asymmetric complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) in order to achieve circular polarization. In this paper a novel design of reflective type FSS layer is presented at 2.4 GHz. The size of FSS unit cell is approximately 0.132λ0 × 0.132λ0, and it is placed at a distance of 0.146λ0 from the patch. Simulated impedance bandwidth of the antenna for S11 < -10 dB is from 2.385 GHz to 2.506 GHz (121 MHz or 4.95%) which covers the entire IEEE 802.11 WLAN band (2.4 GHz-2.484 GHz). Position of the four CSRRs on the patch and the height of FSS screen are determined through parametric studies, and the detailed analyses in terms of reflection coefficient, axial ratio, and gain variation are also presented. Gain of the antenna is 3.02 dBic at the operating frequency 2.45 GHz. Measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
1. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna theory: A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 7-23, 1992. doi:10.1109/5.119564
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
3. Sharma, P. C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143162
4. Iwasaki, H., "A circularly polarized small-size microstrip antenna with a cross slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1399-1401, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.537335
6. Sharma, W. C., H. Kumar, and G. Kumar, "Single feed dual band circularly polarized stub loaded tunable microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 2016.
7. Chen, W. S., C. K. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Single-feed square-ring microstrip antenna with truncated corners for compact circular polarisation operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 11, 1045-1047, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980818
8. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3821-3828, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078476
9. Chen, Z. N. and X. Qing, "Compact circularly polarized asymmetric-slotted microstrip patch antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 8, 1920-1927, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26927
10. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090468
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
12. Liu, X. Y., Z. T. Wu, Y. Fan, and E. M. Tentzeris, "A miniaturized CSRR loaded wide-beamwidth circularly polarized implantable antenna for subcutaneous real-time glucose monitoring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 577-580, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2590477
13. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
14. Ke, L., G.-M. Wang, X. Tong, and H.-X. Xu, "A novel circularly polarized antenna based on the single complementary split ring resonator," IEEE International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, 2010.
15. Dey, S., S. Mondal, and P. P. Sarkar, "Single feed circularly polarized antenna loaded with complementary split ring resonator (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 78, 175-184, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090503
16. Dey, S., S. Mondal, and P. P. Sarkar, "Reactive impedance surface (RIS) based asymmetric slit patch antenna loaded with complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 8, 1003-1013, 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1583608
17. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, J. G. Liang, M. Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining meta-surfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3442-3450, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2255855
18. Wang, Y., et al., "Planar vortex beam generator for circularly polarized incidence based on FSS," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 3, 1514-1522, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2938666
19. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the effects of the patch-type FSS superstrate on the high-gain cavity resonance antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 258-270, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037702
20. Liu, Z. G., Z. X. Cao, and L. N. Wu, "Compact low-profile circularly polarized Fabry-Perot resonator antenna fed by linearly polarized microstrip patch," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 524-527, 2015.
21. Lee, D. H., Y. J. Lee, J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Directivity enhancement of circular polarized patch antenna using ring-shaped frequency selective surface superstrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 1, 199-201, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22084
22. Chatterjee, A. and S. K. Parui, "A dual layer frequency selective surface reflector for wideband applications," Radio Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2016.