This article describes a compact split ring monopole antenna loaded with a Hexagonal Split Ring Resonator (Hex-SRR) for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and Radio frequency Identification (RFID) applications. The resonance frequency of the proposed antenna is obtained by making use of a split ring structure and a metamaterial element Hex-SRR. The prototype antenna is printed on an FR-4 substrate having a dielectric constant (εr) of 4.4 with dimensions of 21×21×1.6 mm3. The split in the ring radiating element is used to achieve good impedance matching, and the Hex-SRR creates a new resonance frequency of 5.8 GHz. This paper includes equivalent circuit investigation, operating mechanism, and band characteristics of Hex-SRR as well as negative permeability details. The fabricated antenna provides an impedance bandwidth of 1180 MHz (5.23-6.41 GHz), which is suitable for WLAN and RFID applications. Good similarity is inferred between the simulated and measured results of the proposed antenna.
1. Rajabloo, H., V. A. Kooshki, and H. Oraizi, "Compact microstrip fractal Koch slot antenna with ELC coupling load for triple band application," AEU Int. J. Electron C, Vol. 73, 144-149, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.12.027
2. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "Split ring loaded broadband monopole with SAR reduction," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 158-162, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29519
3. Boopathi Rani, R. and S. K. Pandey, "A parasitic hexagonal patch antenna surrounded by same shaped slot for WLAN, UWB applications with notch at vanet frequency band," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2996-3000, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.30204
4. Pandeeswari, R., "A compact non-bianisotropic complementary split ring resonator inspired microstrip triple band antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 115-124, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17103009
5. Murugeshwari, B., R. Samson Daniel, and S. Raghavan, "A compact dual band antenna based on metamaterial inspired split ring structure and hexagonal complementary splitring resonator for ISM/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 125, 628, 2019. doi:10.1007/s00339-019-2925-x
6. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Meandered CPW-fed hexagonal split ring resonator monopole antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 681, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28920
7. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28602
8. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron Lett., Vol. 47, 685-686, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1232
9. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband dual-mode monopole antenna using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 258-261, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2014402
10. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Deivalakshmi, "A CPW-fed dual band antenna based on metamaterial inspired split ring structure," 2017 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Signal and Image Processing, 2017.
11. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "Multiband monopole antenna loaded with complementary split ring resonator and C-shaped slots," AEU Int. J. Electron C, Vol. 75, 8-14, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.03.001
12. Immaculate, S. and S. Raghavan, "Design and analysis of a SRR superstrate for SAR reduction," J. Electromagnet Wave, Vol. 29, 2330-2338, 2015. doi:10.1080/09205071.2015.1091384
13. Samson Daniel, R., "Broadband negative antenna using ELC unit cell," AEU Int. J. Electron C, Vol. 118, 153147, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153147