This paper presents Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) F-type and Bluetooth (BT) L-shaped antennas printed on flexible low loss substrate materials for smartwatch applications. The proposed printed antennas were designed along with the wristband of a smartwatch device with the main purpose of improving their electrical performance by using a new low loss polymer material and locating the antenna on the wrist strap. The antenna performances were simulated using CST Microwave Studio, and the prototypes were measured in a Satimo StarLab anechoic chamber. Silver printing and injection molding technologies were successfully utilized for fabricating new SEBS materials (styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene) in wearable devices. The SEBS materials improved the radiation efficiency of the antennas by 1.6 dB for the GNSS and 2.2 dB for the BT over the previously used TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) materials. The overmolded printed and hybrid integrated discrete antennas produced added-value for electronics fabrication thanks to its flexible and seamless integration technique. In addition, it is a low-cost mass manufacturing method. The research opens new perspectives for product definitions with a flexible, low loss material that enables better antenna performance.
2. Raad, H. K., H. M. Al-Rizzo, A. I. Abbosh, and A. I. Hammoodi, "A compact dual band polyimide based antenna for wearable and flexible telemedicine devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 153-161, 2016.
3. Al-Sehemi, A., A. Al-Ghamdi, N. Dishovsky, G. Atanasova, and N. Atanasov, "A flexible planar antenna on multilayer rubber composite for wearable devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 75, 31-42, 2017.
4. Jia, Y., L. Liu, J. Hu, and L. J. Xu, "Miniaturized wearable watch antenna for wristband applications," IEEE MTT-S 2019 International Microwave Biomedical Conference, IMBioC 2019 - Proceedings, 2019.
5. Li, G., G. Gao, J. Bao, B. Yi, C. Song, and L. A. Bian, "A watch strap antenna for the applications of wearable systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 2017.
6. Alkhamis, R., J. Wigle, and H. Song, "Global positioning system and distress signal frequency wrist wearable dual-band antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 2057-2064, 2017.
7. Chen, J., M. Berg, V. Somero, H. Y. Amin, and A. Pärssinen, "A multiple antenna system design for wearable device using theory of characteristic mode," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, London, UK, 2018.
8. Chung, M. A., "Embedded 3D multi-band antenna with ETS process technology covering LTE/WCDMA/ISM band operations in a smart wrist wearable wireless mobile communication device design," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 12, 2020.
9. Ferreira, D., P. Pires, R. Rodrigues, and R. F. S. Caldeirinha, "Wearable textile antennas: Examining the effect of bending on their performance," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 3, 54-59, 2017.
10. Ismail, S., P. A. Gaydecki, and A. Barton, "A flexible wearable antenna for location tracking applications," Int. J. Commun. Antenna. Propag., Vol. 8, No. 6, 494-499, 2018.
11. Prudhvi Nadh, B., B. T. P. Madhav, M. Siva Kumar, M. Venkateswara Rao, and T. Anilkumar, "Asymmetric ground structured circularly polarized antenna for ISM and WLAN band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 76, 167-175, 2018.
12. Raad, H., "An UWB antenna array for flexible IoT wireless systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 162, 109-121, 2018.
13. Bhattacharjee, S., S. Maity, S. R. B. Chaudhuri, and M. Mitra, "Compact dual-band dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for on-body applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5044-5053, 2019.
14. Bhattacharjee, S., M. Midya, M. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Dual band-dual polarized planar inverted F-antenna for MBAN applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, No. 1, 76-86, 2019.
15. Wang, W., X. W. Xuan, P. Pan, and Y. J. Hua, "A low-profile dual-band omnidirectional Alford antenna for wearable WBAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2040-2046, 2020.
16. Bhattacharjee, S., S. Teja, M. Midya, S. R. B. Chaudhuri, and M. Mitra, "Dual band dual mode triangular textile antenna for body-centric communications," URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC), 1-4, 2019.
17. Flores-Cuadras, J. R., J. L. Medina-Monroy, R. A. Chavez-Perez, and H. Lobato-Morales, "Novel ultra-wideband flexible antenna for wearable wrist worn devices with 4G LTE communications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 777-783, 2017.