Here we propose an L-shaped slot-type MIMO antenna with pattern and circular polarization diversity for WLAN applications. In order to maintain a low profile, the pattern and polarization diversities have been achieved without using additional supporting structures. Both the antenna elements are located at the corners of the same side of the ground plane. One of the antenna elements produces left hand circularly polarized (CP) waves whereas the other element produces right hand CP waves in (front) +z-direction. The senses of polarizations are opposite in (backward) -z-direction. CP waves have been generated using two orthogonal current modes, excited by locating the slots on the corner of the ground plane. The quadrature phase difference between the modes has been employed using the slot geometry. In other directions, the antenna correlation has been reduced using pattern diversity. The measured results confirm the simulated ones. The measured axial ratio bandwidth (< 3 dB) and the matching bandwidth (< -6 dB) are 380 MHz and 110 MHz, respectively. The envelop correlation coefficient is less than 0.1 in the operating band.
2. Chen, X., S. Zhang, and Q. Li, "A review of mutual coupling in MIMO systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 24706-24719, 2018.
3. Chen, S. C., Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 12, 3650-3658, 2008.
4. Tang, X., K. Mouthaan, and J. C. Coetzee, "Tunable decoupling and matching network for diversity enhancement of closely spaced antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 268-271, 2012.
5. Lee, J. Y., S. H. Kim, and J.-H. Jang, "Reduction of mutual coupling in planar multiple antenna by using 1-D EBG and SRR structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 9, 4194-4198, 2015.
6. Ramachandaran, A., et al., "A four-port MIMO antenna using concentric square-ring patches loaded with CSRR for high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1196-1199, 2016.
7. Su, S. W., C. T. Lee, and F. S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 456-463, 2012.
8. Zahid, M. Z., L. Qu, H. H. Kim, and H. Kim, "Decoupler design for MIMO antennas of USB dongle applications using ground mode coupling analysis," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 76, 113-122, 2018.
9. Qu, L., R. Zhang, and H. Kim, "Decoupling between ground radiation antennas with ground coupled loop-type isolator for WLAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 10, No. 5, 546-552, 2016.
10. Luo, C. M., J. S. Hong, and L. L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015.
11. Kharche, S., G. S. Reddy, R. K. Gupta, and J. Mukherjee, "Wide band circularly polarised diversity antenna for satellite and mobile communication," IET Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 11, No. 13, 1863-1869, 2017.
12. Yao, Y., et al., "Novel diversity/MIMO PIFA antenna with broadband circular polarization for multimode satellite navigation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 65-68, 2012.
13. Dietrich, C. B., K. Dietze, J. R. Nealy, and W. L. Stutzman, "Spatial, polarization, and pattern diversity for wireless handheld terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 9, 1271-1281, 2001.
14. Qu, L., et al., "Circularly polarised MIMO ground radiation antennas for wearable devices," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 4, 189-190, 2018.
15. Dicandia, F. A., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Analysis of the performance enhancement of MIMO systems employing circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 9, 4824-4835, 2017.
16. Grau, A., et al., "A dual-linearly-polarized MEMS-reconfigurable antenna for narrowband MIMO communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 4-17, 2010.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th Ed., Wiley Inter-Science, Hoboken, NJ, USA, ISBN: 978-1-119-17899-6, 2016.
18. Gao, S. S., Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarised Antennas, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2014.
19. Garg, R., et al., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
20. Mousavi, P., B. Miners, and O. Basir, "Wideband L-shaped circularly polarised monopole slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 822-825, 2010.
21. Yang, S., A. Kishk, and K. Lee, "Wideband circularly polarised antenna with L-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1780-1783, 2008.
22. Vainikainen, P., et al., "Resonator based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, 2002.
23. Fabres, M. C., et al., "The theory of characteristic modes revisited: A contribution to the design of antennas for modern applications," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 5, 52-68, 2007.
24. Qu, L., et al., "Performance enhancement of ground radiation antenna for Z-wave applications using tunable metal loads," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, 1827-1828, 2016.
25. Zahid, Z. and H. Kim, "Enhancement technique for loop type ground radiation antenna using ground mode tuning structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 59, No. 1, 476-478, 2017.
26. Qu, L., Z. Zahid, H.-H. Kim, and H. Kim, "Circular polarised ground radiation antenna for mobile applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 5, 2655-2660, 2018.
27. Zahid, Z., et al., "Circularly polarised loop-type ground radiation antenna for IoT applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, 153-158, 2019.
28. Park, D., L. Qu, and H. Kim, "Compact circularly polarised antenna utilising the radiation of the ground plane based on the theory of characteristic modes," IET Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 13, No. 10, 1509-1514, 2019.
29. Qu, L. and H. Kim, "A novel single-feed dual-element antenna using phase compensation and magnitude regulation to achieve circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 10, 5098-5108, 2018.
30. Zahid, Z., et al., "Circularly polarised loop-type ground radiation antenna for mobile devices using a resonance inductor and capacitor," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 5, 262-264, 2018.
31. Lei, W., H. Chu, and Y.-X. Guo, "Design of a circularly polarised ground radiation antenna for biomedical applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2535-2540, 2016.
32. Chang, S. H. and W. J. Liao, "A novel dual band circularly polarised GNSS antenna for handheld devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 555-562, 2013.
33. Liao, W.-J., J.-T. Yeh, and S.-H. Chang, "Circularly polarised chip antenna design for GPS reception on handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3482-3489, 2014.
34. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
35. Pozar, D. M., "Microwave Engineering," Wiley, ISBN 978-0-470-63155-3, 2011.
36. Liu, Y., J. Lee, H. H. Kim, and H. Kim, "Ground radiation using slot with coupling capacitor," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 447-448, 2013.
37. Zahid, Z. and H. Kim, "Analysis of a loop type ground radiation antenna based on equivalent circuit model," IET Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 11, No. 1, 23-28, 2016.
38. Liu, D. Q., et al., "Dual-band platform-free PIFA for 5G MIMO application of mobile devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 11, 6328-6333, 2018.
39. Soltani, S. and R. D. Murch, "A compact planar printed MIMO antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 1140-1149, 2015.
40. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987.
41. Zhang, R., et al., "Bandwidth enhancement of ground antenna using resonant feeding circuit," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 441-442, 2013.