In this paper, a planar, compact, and low cost printed microstrip line fed pentagon-shaped ultra-wideband antenna offering dual band notched characteristics response is proposed and investigated. By introducing modified V-shaped slots in the pentagonal patch and hexagonal electromagnetic band gap structures near the feedline, dual band notched response can be realized. The proposed antenna is successfully simulated, designed, and fabricated on an FR-4 substrate. The measured results show that the proposed antenna having dimensions of 35 × 33 × 1.6 mm3 has a bandwidth over the frequency band 2.7-10.6 GHz with magnitude of S11 ≤ -10 dB (VSWR ≤ 2), except 3.7-4.6 GHz (C-band Satellite Communication) and 5.16-6.08 GHz (WLAN) frequency bands. The presented antennas show small group delay variation, nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern and stable gain at working frequencies. Satisfactory results have been obtained in frequency and time-domain analysis of the proposed antenna. The formulation of the center frequency of dual notched frequency band is also proposed.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, USA, 2003.
3. Garg, B. P., I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, USA, 2001.
4. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2008, 1-8, 2008.
5. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
6. Wong, K. L. and Stripline-fed printed triangular monopole, "Stripline-fed printed triangular monopole," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 17, 1428-1429, 1997.
7. Jose, J. V., A. S. Rekh, and M. J. Jose, "Double-elliptical shaped miniaturized micro strip patch antenna for ultra-wide band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 95-107, 2019.
8. Ray, K. P., S. S. Thakur, and R. A. Deshmukh, "UWB printed sectoral monopole antenna with dual polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2066-2070, 2012.
9. Thomas, P., D. D. Krishna, M. Gopikrishna, U. G. Kalappura, and C. K. Aanandan, "Compact planar ultra-wideband bevelled monopole for portable UWB systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 20, 1112-1114, 2011.
10. Mewara, H. S., J. K. Deegwal, and M. M. Sharma, "A slot resonators based quintuple band-notched Y-shaped planar monopole ultra-wideband antenna," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 83, 470-478, 2018.
11. Zhu, Y., F.-S. Zhang, C. Lin, Q. Zhang, and J.-X. Huang, "A novel dual band-notched monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 109-117, 2010.
12. Deshmukh, A. A. and P. V. Mohadikar, "Modified rectangular shape patch antennas for ultra-wide band and notch characteristics response," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 7, 1524-1529, 2017.
13. Guichi, F., M. Challal, and T. A. Denidni, "A novel dual band-notch ultra-wideband monopole antenna using parasitic stubs and slot," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 7, 1737-1744, 2018.
14. Haraz Ahmed, O. M. and A. R. Sebak, "Numerical and experimental investigation of a novel ultrawideband butterfly shaped printed monopole antenna with bandstop function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 111-121, 2011.
15. Abbosh, A. M., "Design of a CPW-fed band-notched UWB antenna using a feeder-embedded slotline resonator," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2008, 1-5, 2008.
16. Wang, C., Z.-H. Yan, B. Li, and P. Xu, "A dual band-notched UWB printed antenna with C-shaped and U-shaped slots," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1450-1452, 2012.
17. Mishra, S. K. and J. Mukherjee, "Compact printed dual band-notched U-shape UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 169-181, 2012.
18. Yadav, A., S. Agrawal, and R. P. Yadav, "SRR and S-shape slot loaded triple band notched UWB antenna," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 79, 192-198, 2017.
19. Lv, Y., J. Zhang, and H. Hou, "A novel triple band-notched UWB printed monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 81, 85-95, 2019.
20. Jaglan, N., B. K. Kanaujia, S. D. Gupta, and S. Srivastava, "Triple band notched UWB antenna design using electromagnetic band gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 139-147, 2016.
21. Mandal, T. and S. Das, "Design of dual notch band UWB printed monopole antenna using electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2195-2199, 2014.
22. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behera, "Modified Sierpinski square fractal antenna covering ultrawide band application with band notch characteristics," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 7, 506-512, 2014.
23. Ghahremani, M., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. S. Ellis, F. Alizadeh, and B. Mohammadi, "Miniaturised UWB antenna with dual-band rejection of WLAN/WiMAX using slitted EBG structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 3, 360-366, 2019.
24. Tsai, L. C., "A ultrawideband antenna with dual-band band-notch filters," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 8, 1861-1866, 2017.
25. Mansouri, Z., F. B. Zarrabi, and A. Saee Arezoomand, "Multi notch-band CPW-fed circular-disk UWB antenna using underground filter," Int. J. Electron. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 2, 204-213, 2018.
26. Denidni, T. A. and Z. Weng, "Hybrid ultrawideband dielectric resonator antenna and band-notched designs," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 4, 450-458, 2011.
27. Zhu, F., et al., "Dual band-notched tapered slot antenna using λ/4 band-stop filters," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 15, 1665-1673, 2012.
28. Fertas, K., F. Ghanem, A. Azrar, and R. Aksas, "UWB antenna with sweeping dual notch based on metamaterial SRR fictive rotation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 2, 956-963, 2020.
29. Zhang, J., T. Chen, L. Hua, and W. Wang, "A compact differential-fed UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 83, 171-179, 2019.
30. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10 II, 2936-2946, 2003.
31. Deshmukh, A. A., P. Mohadikar, and S. Pawar, "Formulation of resonant length for regular and modified shapes printed monopole antennas," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 13, No. 6, 478-486, 2018.