We firstly derived the simplified formulas for calculating attenuation constants of surface wave in double-layer magnetic absorbing sheets (MASs). The fabricated two kinds of magnetic absorbing sheets, having advantages in the low and high frequency range respectively, were used to design a group of 0.5 mm-thick double-layer sheets. Numerical calculation results show that the surface wave attenuation constants of double-layer absorbing sheet with a proper combination of the two MASs can be significantly enhanced in the whole frequency range, compared to those single-layer sheets of the same thickness. Furthermore, the simulations of mono-static RCS reduction of the metal slab coated with double-layer MAS well confirm the calculation analysis. This work demonstrates that it is feasible for double-layer magnetic absorbing sheet to enhance the surface wave attenuation ability and broaden application frequency range.
2. Li, Y., et al., "Influence of the electromagnetic parameters on the surface wave attenuation in thin absorbing layers," AIP Adv., Vol. 8, No. 5, 056616, 2018.
3. Chen, H. Y., et al., "Improvement of surface waves attenuation performance with a magnetic thin film loading," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1-5, 2014.
4. Stroobandt, S., The characterization of surface waves on low-observable structures, Master's thesis, Univ. of Hull, 1997.
5. Ling, R. T., J. D. Scholler, and P. Ya. Ufimtsev, "The propagation and excitation of surface waves in an absorbing layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 49-91, 1998.
6. Ufimtsev, P. Y., R. T. Ling, and J. D. Scholler, "Transformation of surface waves in homogeneous absorbing layers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 2, 214-222, 2000.
7. Ufimtsev, P. Y. and R. T. Ling, "New results for the properties of TE surface waves in absorbing layers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1445-1452, 2001.
8. Chen, H.-Y., L.-J. Deng, P.-H. Zhou, J. Xie, and Z.-W. Zhu, "Improvement of surface electromagnetic waves attenuation with resistive loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 143-152, 2011.
9. Chen, H. Y., L. J. Deng, and P. H. Zhou, "Suppression of surface wave from finite conducting surfaces with impedance loading at margins," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14–15, 1977-1989, 2010.
10. Liu, J., et al., "Enhanced electromagnetic wave absorption properties of Fe nanowires in gigaherz range," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, No. 9, 093101, 2007.
11. Wang, X., et al., "Enhanced microwave absorption of multiferroic Co2Z hexaferrite-BaTiO3 composites with tunable impedance matching," J. Alloy. Compd., Vol. 643, 111-115, 2015.
12. Ye, J., et al., "Microwave electromagnetic and absorption properties of SmN/α-Fe/Sm2Fe17N3 composites in 0.5–18 GHz range," J. Alloy. Compd., Vol. 526, 59-62, 2012.
13. Li, Y., et al., "Co-evaluation of reflection loss and surface wave attenuation for magnetic absorbing material," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 11, 6057-6060, 2018.
14. Chen, H.-Y., P.-H. Zhou, L. Chen, and L.-J. Deng, "Study on the properties of surface waves in coated RAM layers and monostatic RCSR performances of the coated slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 123-135, 2010.