A coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed uniplanar all-metallic antenna is proposed for mmWave 5G access points. The antenna has an impedance bandwidth from 26 to 30 GHz with a corresponding end-fire gain of 8 dBi at 28 GHz. The effective radiating volume is 0.0031 λ03 indicating a high gain yield for minimal physical footprint. The radiation efficiency is 99.5%, and the losses are primarily due to finite conductivity of copper. The pattern integrity is high across the band with cross-polarization level below 30 dB, due to lack of electrically thick dielectric substrate. Industry standard low-cost chemical etching technique is used for fabrication of the prototype. A compact, co-polarized stacked beam switching module is also proposed for wide angular coverage with three-ports. This module houses the proposed all-metallic antennas for beam switchability. A customized 3D-printed scaffolding using polylactic acide (PLA) is designed to house the proposed antennas. The antenna module has a wide angular coverage of ±50º. Since the proposed antenna has high radiation efficiency with high gain for minimal physical footprint, it could be a potential solution for mmWave 5G access points. Detailed simulated and measured results are presented.
2. Hong, W., K. Baek, Y. Lee, Y. Kim, and S. Ko, "Study and prototyping of practically large-scale mmWave antenna systems for 5G cellular devices," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 63-69, Sep. 2014.
3. Ta, S. X., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Broadband printed-dipole antenna and its arrays for 5G applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2183-2186, 2017.
4. Yang, B., Z. Yu, Y. Dong, J. Zhou, and W. Hong, "Compact tapered slot antenna array for 5G millimeter-wave massive MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6721-6727, Dec. 2017.
5. Liu, F., J. Guo, L. Zhao, X. Shen, and Y. Yin, "A meta-surface decoupling method for two linear polarized antenna array in sub-6 GHz base station applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 2759-2768, 2019.
6. Shim, J., J. Go, and J. Chung, "A 1-D tightly coupled dipole array for broadband mmWave communication," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 8258-8265, 2019.
7. Briqech, Z., A. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Wide-scan MSC-AFTSA array-fed grooved spherical lens antenna for millimeter-wave MIMO applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2971-2980, Jul. 2016.
8. Ikram, M., E. A. Abbas, N. Nguyen-Trong, K. H. Sayidmarie, and A. Abbosh, "Integrated frequency-reconfigurable slot antenna and connected slot antenna array for 4G and 5G mobile handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 12, 7225-7233, Dec. 2019.
9. Hwang, I., B. Ahn, S. Chae, J. Yu, and W. Lee, "Quasi-Yagi antenna array with modified folded dipole driver for mmWave 5G cellular devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, 971-975, May 2019.
10. Garcia, C. R., R. C. Rumpf, H. H. Tsang, and J. H. Barton, "Effects of extreme surface roughness on 3D printed horn antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 12, 734-736, Jun. 6, 2013.
11. Tak, J., D.-G. Kang, and J. Choi, "A lightweight waveguide horn antenna made via 3D printing and conductive spray coating," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 727-729, 2017.
12. Kindt, R. W. and W. R. Pickles, "Ultrawideband all-metal flared-notch array radiator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3568-3575, Nov. 2010.
13. Kedar, A., "Dielectric free wide scan UWB low cross-pol metallic Vivaldi antenna for active phased array radars," IETE Journal of Research, 1-9, May 30, 2019.
14. Sorkherizi, M. S., A. Dadgarpour, and A. A. Kishk, "Planar high-efficiency antenna array using new printed ridge gap waveguide technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3772-3776, Jul. 2017.
15. Alhalabi, R. A. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Differentially-fed millimeter-wave Yagi-Uda antennas with folded dipole feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 966-969, Mar. 2010.
16. Cheype, C., C. Serier, M. Thevenot, T. Monediere, A. Reineix, and B. Jecko, "An electromagnetic bandgap resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1285-1290, Sep. 2002.
17. de Maagt, P., R. Gonzalo, Y. C. Vardaxoglou, and J. Baracco, "Electromagnetic bandgap antennas and components for microwave and (Sub)millimeter wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2667-2677, Oct. 2003.
18. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar Vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
19. Sun, M., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Gain enhancement of 60-GHz antipodal tapered slot antenna using zero-index metamaterial," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1741-1746, Apr. 2013.
20. Lewis, L., M. Fassett, and J. Hunt, "A broadband stripline array element," 1974 Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 335-337, Atlanta, GA, USA, 1974.
21. Reddy, G. S., A. Kamma, S. Kharche, J. Mukherjee, and S. K. Mishra, "Cross-configured directional UWB antennas for multidirectional pattern diversity characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 853-858, Feb. 2015.
22. Sharma, Y., D. Sarkar, K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Three-element MIMO antenna system with pattern and polarization diversity for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1163-1166, 2017.
23. Wani, Z., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Millimeter wave antenna with wide scan angle radiation characteristics for MIMO applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e21564, 2018.
24. Hasan, M. N., S. Bashir, and S. Chu, "Dual band omnidirectional millimeter wave antenna for 5G communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1581-1590, 2019.
25. Fernandez-Martinez, P., S. Martin-Anton, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Design of a wideband Vivaldi antenna for 5G base stations," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 149-150, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2019.
26. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "One- and two-dimensional beam-switching antenna for millimeter-wave MIMO applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 2, 564-573, Feb. 2016.