In this paper, a novel branch line coupler with improved bandwidth and reduced size is presented. The size reduction is achieved by means of capacitive loading. The capacitive loaded transmission line implemented in the proposed design eliminates the need of open stubs. The mechanism of size reduction and bandwidth enhancement of the coupler is discussed analytically with the help of its equivalent circuit. A prototype is fabricated and tested to validate the concept. The measured fractional bandwidth is 40%, ranging from 2.8 GHz to 4.2 GHz which is suitable for 5G systems. Moreover, the obtained phase imbalance between the output ports is less than ±5° for the entire operating range.
2. Kawai, T. and I. Ohta, "Planar-circuit-type 3-dB quadrature hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2462-2467, 1994.
3. Ghali, H. and T. Moselhy, "Design of fractal rat-race coupler," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37535), Vol. 1, 323-326, Fort Worth, TX, USA, 2004.
4. Wang, J., B. Z. Wang, Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and S. Xiao, "A compact slow-wave microstrip branch-line coupler with high performance," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 7, 501-503, 2007.
5. Eccleston, K. W. and S. H. M. Ong, "Compact planar microstripline branch-line and rat-race couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2119-2125, 2003.
6. Chun, Y. and J. Hong, "Compact wide-band branch-line hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 704-709, Feb. 2006.
7. Wang, Y., M. Ke, M. J. Lancaster, and F. Huang, "Micromachined millimeter-wave rectangular-coaxial branch-line coupler with enhanced bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1655-1660, 2009.
8. Lee, S. and Y. Lee, "Wideband branch-line couplers with single-section quarter-wave transformers for arbitrary coupling levels," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 22, No. 1, 19-21, 2012.
9. Wu, Y., Q. Liu, S. W. Leung, Y. Liu, and Q. Xue, "A novel planar impedance-transforming tight-coupling coupler and its applications to microstrip baluns," IEEE Trans. Components, Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 9, 1480-1488, 2014.
10. Koziel, S. and P. Kurgan, "Design of high-performance hybrid branch-line couplers for wideband and space-limited applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 12, 1339-1344, 2016.
11. Kumar, K. V. P. and S. S. Karthikeyan, "Miniaturized quadrature hybrid coupler using modified T-shaped transmission line for widerange harmonic suppression," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 14, 1522-1527, 2016.
12. Wang, C. and W. Tang, "Compact branch-line coupler with harmonic suppression based on a planar simplified dual composite right/left-handed transmission line structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 127-138, 2018.
13. Geng, L., G.-M. Wang, B.-F. Zong, M.-K. Hu, and H.-Y. Zeng, "Miniaturized branch-line coupler with wide upper stopband using right-angled triangle artificial transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 88, 137-142, 2020.
14. Chan, K. L., P. A. Alhargan, and S. R. Judah, "A quadrature-hybrid design using a four-port elliptic patch," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 2, 307-310, 1997.
15. Zheng, S. Y., J. H. Deng, Y. M. Pan, and W. S. Chan, "Circular sector patch hybrid coupler with an arbitrary coupling coefficient and phase difference," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 5, 1781-1792, 2013.
16. Bekasiewicz, A. and S. Koziel, "Novel structure and design of enhanced-bandwidth hybrid quadrature patch coupler," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 12, 3073-3076, 2018.
17. Zou, X., C. M. Tong, C. Z. Li, and W. J. Pang, "Wideband hybrid ring coupler based on half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 24, No. 9, 596-598, 2014.
18. Shams, S. I. and A. A. Kishk, "Design of 3-dB hybrid coupler based on RGW technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 10, 3849-3855, 2017.
19. Merello, J. M., V. Nova, C. Bachiller, J. R. Sanchez, A. Belenguer, and V. E. B. Esbert, "Miniaturization of power divider and 90◦ hybrid directional coupler for C-band applications using empty substrate-integrated coaxial lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 6, 3055-3062, 2018.
20. Wang, Y., A. M. Abbosh, and B. Henin, "Broadband microwave crossover using combination of ring resonator and circular microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Components, Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 10, 1771-1777, 2013.
21. Liu, S. and F. Xu, "Minimized multi-layer substrate integrated waveguide 3-dB small aperture coupler," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 3201-3205, 2017.
22. Manoochehri, O., A. Darvazehban, and D. Erricolo, "UWB double-ridge waveguide coupler with low loss," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1787-1791, 2017.