This paper proposes and demonstrates a compact integrated filtering antenna built on a square ring resonator coupled with a capacitors loaded microstrip line filter. A microstrip filter module is connected to feeding line of the conventional patch without adding extra space. Thus, the combined configuration possesses radiating and filtering functions simultaneously. The proposed filtenna has a fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 3% at center frequency 2.4 GHz with 2.5 dB of maximum gain. The obtained result shows that the proposed design shows good stopband gain rejection, good selectivity at band edges, and smooth passband gain. Furthermore, the introduced filtenna has advantages of a small size and a simple structure, which makes it ideal for interconnection with different wearable devices operating within 2.4 GHz wireless system range.
1. Pan, Y. M., et al., "A low-profile high-gain and wideband filtering antenna with metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 2010-2016, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2535498
2. Bakshi, G., A. Vaish, and R. S. Yaduvanshi, "Two-layer Sapphire rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for rugged communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 85, 73-80, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL19030602
3. Lu, L., et al., "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with stair-shaped dielectric resonator and openended slot ground," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1755-1758, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2532931
4. Al-Azza, A. A., N. Malalla, F. J. Harackiewicz, and K. Han, "Stacked conical-cylindrical hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for improved ultrawide bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 79, 79-86, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18081008
5. Wu, C.-H., et al., "Balanced-to-unbalanced bandpass filters and the antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 11, 2474-2482, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2005888
6. Zobilah, A. M. S., N. A. Shairi, and Z. Zakaria, "Fixed and selectable multiband isolation of double pole double throw switch using transmission line stub resonators for WiMAX and LTE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 72, 95-110, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB16100903
7. Tripathi, S., N. P. Pathak, and M. Parida, "Microwave front-end subsystems design for ITS/GPS applications," Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1815-1825, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.jestch.2016.08.017
8. Wu, J., et al., "A printed unidirectional antenna with improved upper band-edge selectivity using a parasitic loop," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1832-1837, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2392112
9. Mat, D. A. A., et al., "Integrated open loop resonator filter designed with notch patch antenna for microwave applications," TELKOMNIKA (Telecommunication, Computing, Electronics and Control), Vol. 15, 1485-1492, 2017.
10. Min, X.-L. and H. Zhang, "Compact filtering antenna based on dumbbell-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 69, 51-57, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17042803
11. Hsieh, C.-Y., C.-H. Wu, and T.-G. Ma, "A compact dual-band filtering patch antenna using step impedance resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1056-1059, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2390033
12. Sun, G.-H., et al., "A compact printed filtering antenna with good suppression of upper harmonic band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1349-1352, 2015.
13. Gao, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, Z.-B. Weng, C. Zhang, and Y.-X. Zhang, "A filtering dielectric resonator antenna with high band-edge selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 63-71, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM19112703
14. Wu, W.-J., et al., "A new compact filter-antenna for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1131-1134, 2011.
15. Yang, T., D. Yang, K. Sun, and J. Hu, "Compact dual-band inverted-f filtering antenna using dual-mode resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 143-151, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17092002
16. Hosain, M. M., S. Kumari, and A. K. Tiwary, "Compact filtenna for WLAN applications," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 18, No. 1, 70-79, 2019. doi:10.1590/2179-10742019v18i11220
17. Jadhav, J. and P. Deore, "Filtering antenna with radiation and filtering functions for wireless applications," Journal of Electrical Systems and Information Technology, Vol. 4, 125-134, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.jesit.2016.10.007
18. Wu, W.-J., Q.-F. Liu, Q. Zhang, and J.-Y. Deng, "Co-design of a compact dual-band filter-antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 129-139, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13030411
19. Cheng, W., "Compact 2.4-GHz filtering monopole antenna based on modified SRR-inspired high-frequency-selective filter," Optik, Vol. 127, No. 22, 10653-10658, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2016.08.086
20. Mansour, G., M. J. Lancaster, P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and E. Nugoolcharoenlap, "Design of filtering microstrip antenna using filter synthesis approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 59-67, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14011405
21. Cui, J., A. Zhang, and S. Yan, "Co-design of a filtering antenna based on multilayer structure," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer — Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 2, e22096, 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22096
22. Deng, J.-Y., et al., "A compact dual-band filtering antenna for wireless local area network applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer — Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 9, e21822, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21822
23. Mahmoud, K. R. and A. M. Montaser, "Design of compact mm-wave tunable filtenna using capacitor loaded trapezoid slots in ground plane for 5G router applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 27715-27723, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2971606