The propagated fields within and radiated fields outside a rectangular dielectric cylinder are represented as guided and radiation modes respectively. These fields of the cylinder are related with incident, backward scattered fields at x=0 and transmitted fields at x=a by Mode Matching technique. The expressions for guided and radiation mode amplitudes are derived by applying the orthogonal property of the modes. The unknown functions (mode amplitudes) in each of these equations that are defining discrete functions of the guided modes field and angular spectrum for the radiation field are determined numerically. The powers due to discrete guided modes (even and odd) are calculated. The integrals related with the backward and forward scattered fields and the powers associated with them are approximately evaluated by the method of steepest descents.
1. Froese, C. and J. R. Wait, "Calculated diffraction patterns of dielectric cylinders at centimetric wavelengths," Canad. J. Phys., Vol. 32, 775-781, 1954. doi:10.1139/p54-085
2. Wait, J. R., Electromagnetic Radiation by Cylindrical Structures, Pergamon Press London and New York, 1959.
3. Ohki, M., K. Shimizu, and S. Shogo, "Scattering of Gaussian beam by a dielectric rectangular cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 42, No. 2, May 2000. doi:10.1109/15.852410
4. Leviatan, Y. and Amir Boag, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering from dielectric cylinders using a multifilament current model," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 10, Oct. 1987.
5. Anastassiu, H. T. and J. L. Volakis, "The mode matching technique for electromagnetic scattering by inlets with complex terminations," Wright Laboratory AARA, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton OH 45 431.
6. Marcuse, D., Light Transmission Optics; Chapter 8, 9, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, NY 10020, 1982.
7. Lewin, L., "On the inadequacy of discrete mode-matching techniques in some waveguide discontinuity problems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, No. 7, Jul. 1970.
8. Widenberg, B., "A general mode-matching technique applied to bandpass radomes,", Department of Electroscience Electromagnetic Theory, Lund Institute of Technology Sweden, Aug. 2001.
9. Zhang, K. and D. Li, Electromagnetic Theory for Microwaves and Optoelectronics, Springer, New York, 978-3-540-74295-1, 1998.
10. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Method, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331, 1992.
11. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, IEEE Press, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., New York, 1994. doi:10.1109/9780470546307