An eleven element log-periodic dipole-array (LPDA) antenna, occupying a surface area of only 90 x 52 mm2, printed on an ultra-thin flexible Kapton substrate of thickness 0.035 mm , is proposed. The antenna operates with a stricter 10 dB reflection coefficient bound in the frequency bands 2.75-3.53 GHz and 4-6.2 GHz. For a less stringent bound of 6 dB (which is acceptable for wearable applications), it operates in the wider range of 2.7-6.8 GHz. The antenna has an end-fire radiation pattern with a maximum measured gain of 6 dBi. The flexibility of the antenna is illustrated by reflection and radiation pattern measurements for three different radii, i.e., 50, 30, and 10 mm in both the convex and concave configurations. It is experimentally demonstrated that LPDA exhibits stable input-impedance characteristics and consistent radiation properties over the whole operating band under all bending conditions. The low cost, light weight, and flexible design, as well as the broadband performance in both concave and convex bent configurations, prove the suitability of the antenna for the contemporary flexible electronic devices.
1. Abutarboush, H. F., M. F. Farooqui, and A. Shamim, "Inkjet-printed wideband antenna on resin-coated paper substrate for curved wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 20-23, 2015.
2. Ahmed, S., F. A. Tahir, A. Shamim, and H. M. Cheema, "A compact Kapton-based inkjet-printed multiband antenna for exible wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1802-1805, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2424681
3. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, P. M. Grubb, X.-W. Shi, and R. T. Chen, "Inkjet printing of wideband stacked microstrip patch array antenna on ultrathin flexible substrates," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, No. 9, 1695-1701, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2848459
4. Tehrani, B. K., B. S. Cook, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Inkjet printing of multilayer millimeter-wave Yagi-Uda antennas on exible substrates," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 143-146, 2015.
5. Tang, M.-C., T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Flexible efficient quasi-yagi printed uniplanar antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5343-5350, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2486807
6. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Design of a printed log-periodic dipole array for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 15-26, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13012704
7. Hamza, S. M., F. A. Tahir, and H. M. Cheema, "A high-gain inkjet-printed UWB LPDA antenna on paper substrate," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 4, 931-937, 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078716000829
8. Bozdag, G. and A. Kustepeli, "Subsectional tapered fed printed LPDA antenna with a feeding point patch," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 437-440, 2015.
9. Casula, G. A., G. Montisci, P. Maxia, G. Valente, A. Fanti, and G. Mazzarella, "A low-cost dual-band CPW-fed printed LPDA for wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1333-1336, 2015.
10. Presse, A., J.-M. Floch, and A.-C. Tarot, "Flexible VHF/UHF Vivaldi antenna for broadband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 52, 37-43, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL14112704
11. Lin, C.-P., C.-H. Chang, Y.-T. Cheng, and C. F. Jou, "Development of a flexible SU-8/PDMS-based antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1108-1111, 2011.
12. Rumsey, V. H., Frequency Independent Antennas, Academic Press, 2014.
13. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
14. Jacobson, H. P., C. E. Smith, and R. R. Riggs, "High-power steerable short-wave antennas," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 34, No. 2, 186-192, 1988. doi:10.1109/11.1435
15. Chu, Q.-X., X.-R. Li, and M. Ye, "High-gain printed log-periodic dipole array antenna with parasitic cell for 5G communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6338-6344, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2723916
16. Zhang, J., P. V. Orlik, Z. Sahinoglu, A. F. Molisch, and P. Kinney, "UWB systems for wireless sensor networks," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 313-331, 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008786
17. Gragnani, G. L., D. D. Caviglia, and C. Montecucco, "A log-periodic antenna for long range communication within a wireless sensor network system for sea water quality monitoring," 2018 Advances in Wireless and Optical Communications (RTUWO), 161-166, 2018. doi:10.1109/RTUWO.2018.8587911
18. Martha, G. J., E. M. Cesar, P. L. Gustavo, and S. F. Carlos, "Design and implementation of wireless sensor node in 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz bands," 2016 IEEE Colombian Conference on Communications and Computing (COLCOM), 1-5, 2016.
19. Kameoka, S., S. Isoda, A. Hashimoto, R. Ito, S. Miyamoto, G. Wada, N. Watanabe, T. Yamakami, K. Suzuki, and T. Kameoka, "A wireless sensor network for growth environment measurement and multi-band optical sensing to diagnose tree vigor," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 5, 966, 2017. doi:10.3390/s17050966
20. Waterhouse, R., Microstrip Patch Antennas: A Designers Guide, Springer Science & Business Media, 2013.
21. Abutarboush, H. F. and A. Shamim, "Based inkjet-printed tri-band U-slot monopole antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1234-1237, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2223751
22. Abutarboush, H. F., H. Nasif, R. Nilavalan, and S. W. Cheung, "Multiband and wideband monopole antenna for GSM900 and other wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 539-542, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2198429
23. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Montisci, G. Mazzarella, and F. Gaudiomonte, "A printed LPDA fed by a coplanar waveguide for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1232-1235, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2283088
24. Anim, K. and Y.-B. Jung, "Shortened log-periodic dipole antenna using printed dual-band dipole elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 12, 6762-6771, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2874710
25. Hsu, H.-T. and T.-J. Huang, "A koch-shaped log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) antenna for universal ultra-high-frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) handheld reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4852-4856, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2264451
26. Bishop, N. A., J. Miller, D. Zeppettella, W. Baron, J. Tuss, and M. Ali, "A broadband high-gain bi-layer LPDA for UHF conformal load-bearing antenna structures (CLASs) applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 2359-2364, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2409866
27. Chang, L., S. He, J. Q. Zhang, and D. Li, "A compact dielectric-loaded log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2759-2762, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2744983
28. Anagnostou, D. E., J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A printed log-periodic koch-dipole array (LPKDA)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 456-460, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2001765
29. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Reduced size planar log-periodic dipole arrays (LPDAS) using rectangular meander line elements," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, 2008.
30. Yagyu, H., S. Ifuku, and M. Nogi, "Acetylation of optically transparent cellulose nanopaper for high thermal and moisture resistance in a flexible device substrate," Flexible and Printed Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 014003, 2017. doi:10.1088/2058-8585/aa60f4
31. Carrel, R., "The design of log-periodic dipole antennas," 1958 IRE International Convention Record, Vol. 9, 61-75, IEEE, 1966.
32. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
33. Wadell, B. C., "Transmission Line Design Handbook," Artech House, 1991.
34. Waterhouse, R., Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, Vol. 19, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
35. Chang, T.-N. and Y.-L. Chan, "Antenna with two folded strips coupled to a T-shaped monopole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 197-207, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17082102