This paper considers utilizing radar multipath returns to locate a target in an L-shaped non-line of sight (NLOS) environment and proposes a NLOS target localization algorithm based on grid matching. The algorithm first establishes a multipath propagation model based on real data from an L-band single-input single-output (SISO) ultra-wideband (UWB) radar. Then, it calculates the times of arrival (TOAs) of each grid based on the multipath propagation model and matches the grid which is closest to the measured TOAs of round-trip multipath returns. Both simulation and real-data experiment results validate the effectiveness of the multipath model and the proposed localization algorithm.
2. Setlur, P. and M. Amin, "Multipath model and exploitation in through-the-wall radar and urban sensing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 10, 4021-4034, 2011.
3. Tahmoush, D., J. Silvious, and B. Bender, "Radar surveillance in urban environments," Proceedings of the IEEE International Radar Conference, 220-225, 2012.
4. O'connor, A. and P. Setlur, "Single-sensor RF emitter localization based on multipath exploitation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 51, No. 3, 1635-1651, 2015.
5. Linnehan, R., "Validating multipath responses of moving targets through urban environments," 2010 IEEE Radar Conference, 1036-1041, IEEE, 2010.
6. Setlur, P., T. Negihi, N. Devroye, and D. Erricolo, "Multipath exploitation in non-LOS urban synthetic aperture radar," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process, Vol. 8, No. 1, 137-152, 2014.
7. Johansson, T., et al., "Radar measurements of moving objects around corners in a realistic scene," Radar Sensor Technology, Vol. 9077, No. 3, 0277-786X, 2014.
8. Sume, A., et al., "Radar detection of moving targets behind corners," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2259-2267, 2011.
9. Gustafsson, M., "Positioning of objects behind corners using X-band radar," Proc. 30th URSI Gen. Assem. Sci. Symp., 1-4, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011.
10. Zetik, R., M. Roding, and R. S. Thoma, "UWB localization of moving targets in shadowed regions," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1729-1732, Prague, 2012.
11. Johansson, T., et al., "Positioning of moving non-line-ofsight targets behind a corner," IEEE Radar Conference, 2016.
12. Rabaste, O., et al., "Around-the-corner radar: Detection of a human being in non-line of sight," IET Radar, Sensor & Navigation, Vol. 9, No. 6, 660-668, 2015.
13. Li, S., et al., "On the electromagnetic diffraction propagation model and applications," IEEE J. Sel. Top Appl. Earth Observations Remote Sensing, Vol. 13, 884-895, 2020.
14. Linnehan, R. and J. Schindler, "Multistatic scattering from moving targets in multipath environments," IEEE Radar Conference, 1-6, Pasadena, CA, 2009.
15. Aubry, A., et al., "Diffuse multipath exploitation for adaptive radar detection," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1268-1281, 2015.
16. Baranoski, E. J., Multipath exploitation radar industry day, presented at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Strategic Technology Office, Arlington, VA, 2007.
17. Durek, J., Multipath exploitation radar data collection review, presented at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Strategic Technology Office, Arlington, VA, 2009.
18. Zhao, Q., et al., "Millimeter wave radar detection of moving targets behind a corner," 2018 21st International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), IEEE, 2018.
19. Du, H., et al., "A novel NLOS target localization method with a synthetic bistatic MMW radar," 2020 IEEE 11th Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop, 1-5, Hangzhou, China, 2020.
20. Zetik, R., et al., "Looking behind a corner using multipath-exploiting UWB radar," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 51, No. 3, 1916-1926, 2015.
21. Thai, K., et al., "GLRT particle filter for tracking NLOS target in around-the-corner radar," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., 3216-3220, AB, Canada, 2018.
22. Thai, K., et al., "Around-the-corner radar: Detection and localization of a target in non-line of sight," 2017 IEEE Radar Conference (Radar Conf.), 2017.
23. Rabaste, O., et al., "Detection-localization algorithms in the around the-corner radar problem," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2658-2673, 2019.
24. Fan, S., et al., "Moving target localization behind L-shaped corner with a UWB radar," 2019 IEEE Radar Conference (Radar Conf.), IEEE, 2019.
25. Guo, S., et al., "MIMO radar localization of targets behind L-shaped corners," 2020 IEEE 11th Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop (SAM), 1-4, Hangzhou, China, 2020.
26. Setlur, P. and G. Smith, "Target localization with a single sensor via multipath exploitation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 3, 1996-2014, 2012.
27. Di Vito, A. and G. Morreti, "Probability of false alarm in CA-CFAR device downstream from linear-law detector," Electron. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 25, 1692-1693, 1989.