Conformal low profile antenna array has been widely used towards reduced radar cross section and good radiation characteristics. Being conformal, it has a number of advantages over planar antenna structure. This paper presents the radiation and scattering characteristics of a planar and conformal patch array with conventional and hybrid HIS-based ground plane on a low loss dielectric substrate. The use of a hybrid HIS layer instead of conventional metallic ground plane contributes to achieving wideband RCS reduction over 8 GHz-50 GHz, without degrading the radiation performance in terms of antenna gain, return loss and VSWR. The measurement results of the fabricated antennas are found in good agreement with the simulated ones. The radiation mode RCS of the conformal patch array has been analytically estimated and shown to be controlled in the operating frequency range. Such a low profile low RCS antenna array can be used as a subarray of phased arrays in fire control radars.
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 1117, New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 0-471-66782-X, 2005.
2. Josefsson, L. and P. Persson, Conformal Array Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2006. doi:10.1002/047178012X
3. Thors, B. and L. Josefsson, "Radiation and scattering tradeoff design for conformal arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1069-1076, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811489
4. Rawat, H. S., H. Singh, and R. M. Jha, "Radar cross section of a parallel-fed cylindrical array of dipoles," Electromagnetics, Vol. 36, No. 5, 287-304, 2016. doi:10.1080/02726343.2016.1187108
5. Turpin, J. P., P. E. Sieber, and D. H. Werner, "Absorbing FSS ground plane for reduced radar cross section of conformal antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 464-465, 2013. doi:10.1109/APS.2013.6710893
6. Ruilin, L., N. Zhenyi, and L. Rongsheng, "A novel method for the RCS reduction of conformal microstrip antenna," Proceedings of Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 516-519, July 26–30, 2011.
7. Genovesi, S., F. Costa, and A. Monorchio, "Low-profile array with reduced radar cross section by using hybrid frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2327-2335, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189701
8. Cong, L.-L., X.-Y. Cao, W. Li, and Y. Zhao, "A new design method for patch antenna with low RCS and high gain performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 77-84, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15012801
9. Li, J., T. A. Khan, J. Chen, M. U. Raza, and A. Zhang, "Design of low RCS circularly polarized patch antenna array using metasurface for CNSS adaptive antenna applications," Materials, Vol. 12, 14, 2019.
10. Ramkumar, M. A., C. Sudhendra, and K. Rao, "A novel low RCS microstrip antenna array using thin and wideband radar absorbing structure based on embedded passives resistors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 153-161, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16080506
11. Liu, Y., Y. Hao, Y. Jia, and S.-X. Gong, "A low RCS dual-frequency microstrip antenna with complementary split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 146, 125-132, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14031703
12. Singh, A., D. K. Sasidharan, and H. Singh, "EM design of low RCS proximity coupled patch array," ICT Analysis and Applications, Chapter 3, 21-30, S. Fong, N. Dey, and A. Joshi (eds.), Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., 570, (978-981-15-0629-1), Singapore, 2019.
13. Sasidharan, D. K., A. Singh, and H. Singh, "RCS reduction in microstrip patch array with hybrid AMC-based ground plane," Antenna Test & Measurement Society of India Conference (ATMS 2019), 4, Chennai, July 25–27, 2019.
14. Singh, A., D. K. Sasidharan, and H. Singh, "Analytical estimation of radiation mode radar cross section (RCS) of phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 6, 6415-6421, June 2020. doi:10.1109/TVT.2020.2986007
15. Wincza, K. and S. Gruszczynski, "Influence of curvature radius on radiation patterns in multibeam conformal antennas," Proceedings of 2006 European Microwave Conference, 4, Manchester, UK, Sept. 10–15, 2006.
16. Haghzadeh, M., H. Jaradat, C. Armiento, and A. Akyurtlu, "Design and simulation of fully printable conformal antennas with BST/Polymer composite based phase shifters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 167-178, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15091504