In this paper, a dual-band Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna for fifth-generation (5G) band (3.3-3.6 GHz and 4.8-5.0 GHz) is presented. The proposed MIMO antenna fed by coplanar waveguide (CPW) contains two symmetric antenna elements with two inverted L-shaped stubs. High isolation is successfully acquired by adopting a double-Y-shaped stub and partial ground plane. To obtain compactness, the antenna printed on an FR4 substrate has two triangle corners cut off. To study the performance, the antenna is simulated by Ansoft HFSS 13.0, and then fabricated and tested. The measurement results demonstrate that the antenna has achieved impedance bandwidths (S11 < -10 dB) of 790 MHz (3.08-3.87 GHz) and 880 MHz (4.7-5.58 GHz) with fractional bandwidths of 22.7% and 15.8% respectively, which covers 3.45/4.9 GHz 5G bands. Meanwhile, the measurement results exhibit an enhanced isolation more than 20 dB, a low envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) below 0.001, an average gain better than 2 dB and a stable radiation pattern within operation bands. In addition, the parameters including efficiency, DG, CCL, MEG and TARC are also analysed. The simulated and measured results indicate that the proposed MIMO antenna can be applied to 5G communication system.
"A CPW-Fed Dual-Band MIMO Antenna with Enhanced Isolation for 5G Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 98, 11-20, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20081203
1. Zhu, Y., Y. Chen, and S. Yang, "Integration of 5G rectangular MIMO antenna array and GSM antenna for dual-band base station applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 63175-63187, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2984246
2. Ozdemir, M. and E. Arvas, "Dynamics of spatial correlation and implications on MIMO systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 6, S14-S19, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1304227
3. Li, Q., M. Abdullah, and X. Chen, "Defected ground structure loaded with meandered lines for decoupling of dual-band antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 13, 1764-1775, 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1643261
4. Deng, J. Y., Z. J. Wang, J. Y. Li, and L. X. Gao, "A dual-band MIMO antenna decoupled by a meandering line resonator for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 3, 759-765, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31049
5. Deng, J., J. Li, and L. Zhao, "A dual-band inverted-F MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for WLAN application," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2270-2273, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2713986
6. Shen, D. L., L. Zhang, Y. C. Jiao, and Y. Yan, "Dual-element antenna with high isolation operating at the WLAN bands," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 10, 2323-2328, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31901
7. Liu, P., D. Sun, P. Wang, and P. Gao, "Design of a dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 23-30, 2018.
8. Luo, C., J. Hong, and M. Amin, "Mutual coupling reduction for dual-band MIMO antenna with simple structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, 51-56, 2017. doi:10.13164/re.2017.0051
9. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "A compact dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2457-2460, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2723927
10. Qin, H. and Y. Liu, "Compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high port isolation for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 97-104, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14021901
11. Nirmal, P., A. Nandgaonkar, S. Nalbalwar, and R. Gupta, "A compact dual band MIMO antenna with improved isolation for WI-MAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 69-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18033104
12. Pasumarthi, S. R., J. B. Kamili, and M. P. Avala, "Design of dual band MIMO antenna with improved isolation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 6, 1-5, 2019.
13. Dkiouak, A., A. Zakriti, M. E. Ouahabi, and A. Mchbal, "Design of two element Wi-MAX/WLAN MIMO antenna with improved isolation using a Short Stub-Loaded Resonator (SSLR)," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 34, No. 9, 1268-1282, 2020.
14. Dkiouak, A., A. Zakriti, and M. E. Ouahabi, "Design of a compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN and X-band satellite by using orthogonal polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 34, No. 9, 1254-1267, 2018.
15. Debnath, P., A. Karmakar, A. Saha, and S. Huda, "UWB MIMO slot antenna with Minkowski fractal shaped isolators for isolation enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 75, 69-78, 2018.
16. Ikram, M., Muhammad, N. Nguyen-Trong, and A. Abbosh, "Realization of a tapered slot array as both decoupling and radiating structure for 4G/5G wireless devices," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 159112-159118, 2019.
17. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
18. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, and N. Tewari, "Design of triple-band MIMO antenna with one band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 86, 41-53, 2018.
19. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9–10, 415-427, 2018.
20. Biswas, A. K. and U. Chakraborty, "Investigation on decoupling of wide band wearable multipleinput multiple-output antenna elements using microstrip neutralization line," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 9, 1-11, 2019.